PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Well I'm finally going to get my first "real" pipe, a Mr Brog's Old Boy (untill today i have smoked a Chinese pipe which didnt do good for my tounge bites :( but i used it to learn how to pack and tamp).

I have read and watched many tutorials on the net. Most of them were in favor of breaking an new pipe, some were not.

What is your poinion inthe matter? And what is the best way to do it?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
If you smoke a pipe it will get broken in whether you want it to or not. The choice is how you break it in and there are basically two methods. Start by smoking small bowls, then medium, then full. This might be what you'd want to do if your pipe has very thin bowl walls. Second method is to just load it up and have at it. The second is what I use and what probably the majority of posters here use.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I'm one for part bowls if for no other reason that some pipes taste real bad when you're breaking them in and part bowls is as much as I can take! Smoke slowly and don't allow the briar to get too warm.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Years ago, I was told that you should work your way up from part bowls to full bowls to break in a pipe. And that is what I did. Now, I don't bother -- I simply fill the bowl and smoke away. About the only concession I make to a new pipe is to pay a bit more attention to smoking slowly and make sure that I smoke the whole bowl. I've never noticed and bad taste with a new pipe. Perhaps I've just been lucky? There are enough experienced pipe smokers here who just fill up a new pipe and smoke away that I'm inclined to believe that it simply does not matter, as long as you take your time and don't over-heat the bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think breaking in a pipe is more for the pipe smoker than the pipe, a little ritual to recognize the pleasure of owning

a new pipe and showing some care about maintaining it. The idea with the partial bowls is to blacken the lower part

of the bowl more throughly, but this might be done better by having more leaf burning in the bowl for longer. I usually

smoke a partial bowl or two, but more for the ritual and tradition. I certainly have loaded new pipes and gone at it, and

with no ill effects. But I like to celebrate a new (or new to me) pipe in the process.

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
I break my pipes in. Probably because I want to approach the pipe and learn its characteristics a bit less directly than blasting off with a full bowl. Also, easing into a new pipe can't be a bad thing ... though it requires more patience and exploration.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Fill it up like any other bowlful. Just make sure you use a neutral tobacco, like an uncased Burley or Virginia. Don't ghost a pipe with Latakia or an Aromatic unless you plan on smoking that from the pipe long term. I prefer to break them in with Briar Fox and then let the pipe tell me what tobacco it will smoke best.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I have filled my new pipes up and smoked a full bowl the first time every time. The only thing that I do different on the first few bowls is pay close attention to the temp. If the bowl gets even a little above luck warm I let it go out and cool down. I do this more cause I am fearfull of burning out a brand new pipe more than anything else. I also push the ash from the pipe up on the sides of the bowl and don't clean tell I get 3 to 4 good smokes. I think this helps to build up the carbon and remove the flavor of the new pipe which can sometimes not be that great.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Years ago, I was told that you should work your way up from part bowls to full bowls to break in a pipe. And that is what I did. Now, I don't bother -- I simply fill the bowl and smoke away.
I was told and used to do the same thing for years. Now I just go for it but usually moisten the bowl before first smoke with distilled water or whiskey, let it air a bit, pack and go.

marcdimaria0

Lurker
Sep 17, 2014
Papajoe I just wanted to ask you why you opted initially for a Chinese pipe? because I think it tastes bitter you found is not the best start for a good pipeur. Anyway your new choice is good.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
not much for bandwagons but, here, I'm getting on the one that says "lock and load".

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I always load and go. If after a few bowls its still putting up a fight, I will fill 1/3rd and smoke it a few times, then half full for a few more bowls, etc. Keep in mind some pipes just take longer to break in than others so do not give up right away.

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
I just started smoking a pipe again after a long layoff from nicotine. I had to do small bowls mainly to break me in. Now I'm doing full bowls and loving it. I agree with the general consensus to watch the heat and smoke slowly.
Toadshade

Status
Not open for further replies.