PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I was wondering what other people do with blends they just don't like? Just let them sit on the shelf or what. I have quite a few of them. I would trade them but to new to this forum. Seriously looking for recommendations thanks.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have a jar that i tip leftovers, scraps etc into, and then tip the blends i dont like into the mix as well, that way when i smoke a pinch of my 'workshop blend' it does not have enough of any one blend for me to dislike it...

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Scrooge: you have to have 100 posts before you can do any trading.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Thanks mortonbriar for that I do that already with my little batches, but i just have to much.. thanks Jimlinks i know about the 100 post an 4 month rule I'm not tring to do that now was just looking for info thks again guys

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
hurntertrw, yesterday I smoked my first bowl of Mix79. I actually did smoke the entire bowl too. It wasn't hot, nor bitey. That's the good part.

It smells like bath soap, and I'm thinking lifeboy, tastes sorta like that too.

People have kept it alive for some reason. I'm not sure I want to discover what that is. Masochism?
I'd bet that if you smoked it all the time you'd learn to look forward to your next bowl. That's how it is a lot of the time with these 'distinctive' blends.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
I have found blends I like much more than 1Q and RLP-6 so I have passed those to friends. Briar Fox turned me off, my brother-in-law enjoyed it. i too have a scrap jar for the last bits of my leaf. Best In Show turned poor the second half of the bowls I smoked, so that is my most recent thumb down blend. I like Anniversary Kake much more than OGS. Everyone's taste is different, it is hard to decide solely based on others' opinions.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Keeping tobacco you dislike is generally preferred because tastes do change. And it costs nothing (more) to hang on to it. After all, it's not like you have to feed it! :lol: But after several failed trials over a long-ish period of time, I usually decide to free up some of those Mason jars.
I try to pay attention to what other forum members seem to like. When the amount of my rejects reaches a critical mass, I'll pm someone whom I think might enjoy these tobaccos. If they are willing to receive them, I'll drop a box in the mail.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Anything I'm not sure of or don't like the first impressions of goes in the back of the cabinet. Often after sitting for a while I'll give it a second chance and it moves to the front, if not it can sit in the back again, it's not like it will go bad so for now I just hold on to it.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I cannot think of any brand that I overall do not like.
I have given plenty of aromatics away over the years as I continue to think I might actually like one or another, but in the end don't.
And among those, only Altadis African Queen got summarily dumped into a trash can (the one outside the Mall at Robinson Golden Corral- remember it well). I even found a home for Mixture 79 elsewhere.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Right, age it and try it again later. Then if you don't like it, give it away. Others often like tobacco I don't. I like various Mac Barens blends, but not Navy Mixture loose tobacco, but the Forums member I gave it to said he enjoyed it.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Erinmore Mixture. The only blend - in over 30 years - where I have binned the tin after a couple of bowls. In my defence, I was in Ibiza so I couldn't post it or shove it in a cupboard for another time, but I couldn't imagine ever wanting to smoke that stuff. I have an Odds & Sods jar, but the contents taste pretty good as the contents are remnants of blends I like!
@scrooge - welcome to the Forums!
Andy

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I dislike the codger/OTC blends here in the states, I really don't see the point of such one-dimensional tobacco (aside from trying out pipe smoking) when there are so much better blends out there ... even if they are also one-dimensional.
As for what I do with the ones I dislike I usually try to find someone to give them to or I put them together with other like blends and hope it turns out better down the road. I mixed a bunch of similar aros I was less than impressed with and smoked some of it yesterday and it was ok.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Tell us what some of these blends are and how they are currently stored.
For me, I don't keep anything around that I don't like and usually try to donate it.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
1st off thank you Andy for the welcome. As for my blends I don't like the large amounts are , Butera's royal vintage, Lane RPL-6, Lane limited 1-Q, Lane limited BC-A, McClelland VBC those are the big lots I have, so I guess i'll sit on them a very long time. but I think I just don't like Cavendish. thanks for all the replys. 5/29/15 All my opened tobacco go instantly into ball mason jars.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Scrooge, I seriously don't think it is the Cavendish. Straight Cavendish is spectacularly boring! More likely it is the topping the Cavendish is soaked, steamed, and then top sprayed with.
Like you maybe, I fell in love, then fell in hate, with aro's.
I'm currently sitting on (not literally) a fat pound or three of Lane's 1-Q, RLP-6, and BC-A, along with a pound or more of Stokkebye's Sweet Vanilla. All of it in jars. Add to that 26 pouches of Captain Black Dark (buy one get one free at P&C and TAD madness on my part).
I will continue to sit on it all until Tobaccogedden, then, reluctantly at first, smoke that, and then die happy.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I'll try to give away but if not then it goes in the toilet...I like to see how brown I can get the water and how many flushes it takes to get the whole lot down the tubes...strange I know. It makes me feel better for wasting money, though not intentionally. Most hated blends are 1792 and Irish Flake...yuck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.