Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbarr

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
Hello all! First of all I am glad I found this forum. Looks to be pretty professional and very friendly! I am excited to be here. Onto my question ....
Started smoking a pipe about a month ago as I find it to be very relaxing. So, I am looking for a good tobacco. I don't ever smoke besides now my pipe. So, I want something with good flavor but mild. Like I said since I am not a regular smoker I hope you can see where I am coming from. Currently I just have some Captain Black which I feel, is probably swill compared to what you guys can recommend me!
Current pipe : Doctor Grabow Grand Duke

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. Is there a decent pipe shop near you? If there is you should go there and speak to the owner about different blends. Many new smokers start with aromatic blends. The most popular in the USA is Lan Ltd. 1Q. It goes by many name at tobacconists but asking for 1Q will get you the right blend. It is ,ild with a hint of vanilla. It's a decent starting point. If you don't have a B&M then there are sponsors listed on the left side of this page you can contact. I'd recommend getting a sample pack so you can try different blends. If you discover that you are an aromatic guy then fine. The next step are the Virginia blends then, maybe, burleys before you graduate to the English blends with latakia and orientals.

There are thousands of blends but do not be afraid. The thing is to focus on what you think you may be leaning toward then follow that.

Good resources are the reviews of blends on this site and www.tobaccoreviews.com. Continue to ask questions here as you get deeper into the hobby.

again, welcome aboard, have fun and check in here often.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
One of my favorite mild smokes are both aromatics. Scott's milk and honey and lane 1Q. Both have really good mild flavor low nic level and very little tounge bite.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In addition to 1Q, which you can also buy in bulk online, other blends you might try for a starer are Lanes LL-7,

similar to 1Q but maybe more flavorful, Carter Hall, or Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge. Welcome to Forums and

happy smoking.

hitman

Lurker
Aug 3, 2014
Welcome aboard! I have found this site to be a great resource for new pipers. I have not been exploring aros much, but have enjoyed Lane's TK-6. It has a light cherry casing/topping on good burley and cavendish tobacco.
After being underwhelmed with my initial foray into piping with pouch tobaccos I spent some time browsing posts here as well as checking tobaccoreviews.com. I ordered a number of bulk 1 oz packages with a variety of tobacco and flavor profiles: aros (1Q and TK-6), VaPers and English blends. In bulk most of these were around $3/oz; quite a bargain compared to cigars. The English blends, Nightcap and My Mixture 965, are turning out to be my favored flavor profile. The discovery process is a lot of fun.
Best of luck,
Don

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I will share with you my standard advice: Smoke the best tobacco in the best pipes you can afford. It willimprove your experience. :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums! I like aromatics and one that I enjoy that is inexpensive but very enjoyable is Newminster's Danish Black. I would also recommend Frog Morton Cellar - which many people will attest to as well.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
All the aromatics are good but like Numbersix and sparks have said try an English blend as well. Frog Morton Cellar and On the Town are pretty good. I mainly smoke aros but I find myself going back to the Frog quite often just to change up the pace. Welcome to the forums and this wonderful hobby!

nbarr

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
WOW! What a response I got on this! Wasn't expecting such great responses. Thank you guys very much. It seems I have a lot of online looking around to do it. I say that because I do live in a little town and sadly, we don't have any nice tobacco/pipe shops around here. :/
EDIT: And with that, I now have some Lane 1Q on the way! Hopefully it gets here pretty quick and I can be back to this post to let you guys know what I think!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Yes, nbarr, these folks around here are amazingly helpful & knowledgeable. Welcome to the wonderful world of pipes and pipe tobacco. Sip it!

nbarr

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
I see that. Great bunch of people here for sure. I guess my next question would be the following. I was doing some reading a couple of weeks ago and that's actually how I ended up with the Grand Duke. I was wondering, what was your guys' thoughts on this pipe?

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome aboard nbarr. Where do you live now? Have you looked to see if there is a pipe club in your area? I found this site and within a few weeks found an AWESOME pipe club where guys would let me sample their tobaccos along with offering good guidance to help me on my journey. You may live in a small town but a 45 min or so drive once a month will do wonders to reduce the steepness of your learning curve.
Good luck and happy smoke rings :puffy:

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
If you want a decent briar pipe, you will probably need to spend at least 100.00. Stanwell and Savinelli are two often recommended brands for quality entry level pipes. That said, your Dr. Grabow will work just fine. My first pipe was a Grabow. Corncob pipes are super cheap and actually smoke well, so that is an option too.
Most beginners start with aromatics, but I wouldn't hesitate to broaden your horizons right away. Try to stick to ribbon cuts at first till you get your sipping technique down, but then try some flake tobacco. Escudo and Gawith Full Virginia Flake would be great first choices if you want to start exploring the world of truly fine pipe tobaccos.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Welcome and from a new smoker myself, I started with the 1Q and a bunch of 1oz samples or various blends/types. I fairly in short order have figured what I like, can tolerate and what I don't like. This is a long journey that should be great to take.

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
My advice is this and Im still a newbie.

Use a pipe with good flow.

Don't use filters if you want true taste and if you do use them change them out and clean up between bowls.
-2nd on HiPlains advice:

It seems to me that if you buy a decent briar pipe there will be less break in time.

I went to a good flowing decent grade pipe in short order and that is what transformed

my smoking from an early point and IMO its the main reason I found the tastes I was looking for.

This is if your current setup isn't working out.

I also was pretty unaware of Cobs when I started...and would have if I had known. I have used them

since and find them fun, casual and effective..but enjoy the briars.
Edit: My early favs
Orlik Golden

Dunhill EMP

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
Welcome to the forum. Its been some time since I actually posted anything. Mainly because I have not smoked for at least half a year until I started recently again(I'll create a post soon as to why).
However, lets get back to the question about "pipe tobacco recommendation".
If you are lucky and live in a state that has a "Nat Sherman". I would recommend the "580" exclusive store blend.
Other than that you can try:
"Frog Morton's Cellar", "Three Oaks", and "Sherlock Holmes"
If you are willing to further expand your tobacco horizon. You can also try:
"Shortcut to Mushrooms, "Old Toby", and "Longbottom Leaf"--all of which are special blends from the Lord of the Rings pipe weed series.
I hope that at least now, you can start smoking a little bit of everything :puffpipe:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome, and his tidbit of advice: no tobacco is swill. If you enjoy it, go right on smoking it, despite what anyone else may say. I have smoked what are considered to be the higher end tobaccos, and the less expensive ones. And I find all of them have a distinctive taste, and sometimes I don't like the taste and sometimes I do. Where do I enjoy a particular tobacco, I smoke it regardless of what it costs, or what someone else might think of it. Your pleasures do not depend upon the judgments of others. Find a tobacco that pleases you, and smoke it to your hearts content. That said, there are many tobaccos, numbering in the thousands, for you to try. By all means sample as many of them as you can, because you never know what you will find.

nbarr

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
Thank you all very much again for the awesome input. It seems I have a very long but enjoyable road ahead of me! :D

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
While you're at it, check out the thread entitled "Captain Black Revisited," about 15 threads below this one. You may find it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.