PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I picked this up, just like most of my estate purchases it must have never been cleaned. The stem was brown and green, the cake must have never been removed, and everything was nasty. However, it wasn't too bad to clean up, no apparent problems, and it smokes really well. I can't find much on this pipe...or the company. I found very little about the company in NY, but the band is marked Italy where the stem fits in. I found one similar, but no price Bradberry Classic Rusticated Acorn (901)
SO any info on this pipe would be nice (Especially a timeline of when it may have been manufactured). I payed $22 for it, and was curious as to what the pricing is...just for me to know, I won't sell it. I am not sure of the shape to be honest either. The stinger on it might as well be a weapon, but it smokes really nicely. Pain to clean the stem with a pipe cleaner but...oh well. Wanted to share, and maybe get some info!
2015-11-06-191416_zpsngcddtfj.jpg

2015-11-06-191527_zpshqmueifi.jpg

2015-11-06-191603_zpsnhgxwc0z.jpg

2015-11-06-191447_zpsyy9lrkaf.jpg

2015-11-06-191425_zpsvujflkmu.jpg

2015-11-06-191459_zps6iqhakuh.jpg

Oh, and I picked up a doctor, for when my pipes need a check up lol.

2015-11-06-191347_zpshm66abdw.jpg

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
While it's in my head about this pipe...What's the difference in Vulcanite/Acrylic? Have I been thinking my old Grabows have Acrylic and they have Vulcanite? I need to know a few things about finishing this pipe since it's cleaned out. How do I go about handling the pipe/bringing out the red in the stain and polishing/waxing it up nicely without messing something up. Also, for the stem, a magic eraser and time was my solution to bringing it back to black....though, it's dull...what's the best thing to use to make it get that black/shine again?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Grabow has used a variety of stem materials over the years. Most pipes made since 1981 have ABS plastic stems although some (mostly Royalton) have acrylic and some vulcanite. The acrylic stems are all brightly colored.They haven't used vulcanite from about the early 1990's. From the early 1930's up to mid 1980s 99% of Grabows had vulcanite stems. There's a few from the early 50's with a weird nylon/plastic. Willards used nylon if memory serves--except for the bent pipes which were vulcanite.ABS and the nylon will not oxidize.
To get a rusticated pipe to shine you need to get all of the built gunk that accumulates in those cracks and crannies out. Some guys like to use Simple Green. I take them to the sink and with the stem in place and the bowl facing down scrub them with a tooth brush and warm water and whatever soap happens to be handy. Let it dry overnight and wax it. I like to use Halcyon II and buff it with a clean shoe brush and finish with a micro fiber cloth.
Recently I discovered that a rotary horsehair brush works great for cleaning rusticated/blasted pipes--without soap and water. See this-- http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/about7284.html

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Thank you very much! Looks like before I can buy more tobacco, going to get some other stuff first and figure out which pipe I try it with first. Probably my Frankenstein Eldorado. Seriously thought someone would have responded on this thread about the pipe above....very surprised.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Don't see many Bradberry pipes .Seems like those I have seen had screw in stems. Yours looks to be a billiard with a military type stem. Can't tell you anything about them--never researched them.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Looks like I have one other option. Go find out who the seller was and what he knows about it. Maybe he bought it new. It's a really nice pipe. It's quite a bit bigger than my other pipes and smokes like a dream. In any case I am very glad to own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.