PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Hello all - I've been suffering from a severe case of Custombilt / BP Jum / Tom Howard PAD recently, and have picked up half a dozen or so pipes from these makers over the last year. For the uninitiated, these pipes represent a particular moment in time for American pipe makers, and all share a very similar aesthetic that I find appealing.
I've been able to find quite a bit of info on Custombilt, and some information on Tom Howard's pipes. However, I can't find ANY information about who manufactured BP Jum pipes, or when. Based on their style, they appear to have been manufactured in the 1950's, but other than that, no one seems to know much more about them. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can shed some light on this mystery! Any information is greatly appreciated. Also, show us a picture of your BP Jum if you have one! :puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
Hop on youtube sometime and look up NWPipesmoker. I know a lot of guys on here don't do the whole youtube pipe thing but he collects old Custombilts and BP Jums and he's done a few videos about those older style pipes and he has quite a collection of them. I can't remember which videos they are exactly but he may have the information you are looking for. I've tried to snag a couple off of ebay but someone always beats me to the punch. He makes them sound really nice and I would love to own one some day.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for the lead - I'll see if I can find anything from NWPipesmoker. As far as acquiring one, there is certainly strong market demand for them - I snagged mine off eBay for about $30, but they tend to go for $40 - $50, which is doubly interesting given no one knows anything about them!

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Nwpipesmoker is a member of our pipe club..I will mention this post to him at this months meeting and see what I can find out if you haven't by then. By the way he is a wicked nice guy.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I must confess that I too find these pipes interesting. The shapes and look of these I would not normally like but something about them screams fishing and canoeing pipe to me and I would not mind getting hold of one or two in the future. They look very rugged and there is something about some of those shapes. You do not see many pop up on this side of the pond however.
I should also confess my interest in them was started by NWPipesmoker and his videos. I don't really watch any of the youtube guys anymore but I always enjoy his videos. Seems like a very affable sort of chap.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
mranglophile: I left him a message on his youtube page, but I'm not sure if I'll get a response via "cold calling" him like that. I would love to hear what he has to say if you get the chance to speak with him in person! I've done a bit of searching on his channel and couldn't find anything specifically relating to the brand's history, but he looks like the guy that would know, based on the number of BP Jums featured in his videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.