PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I was smoking an older Jobey Stromboli today, which has a fairly wide bowl, and noticed that, despite re-tamping and attempting to spread the fire out, it tended to burn down the middle of the tobacco, leaving the sides unburnt, and a tunnel down the middle.
Anyone ever have this situation? (I hate to call it a problem, being so minor an annoyance). Any suggestions other than what I've already tried? (No, I don't want to build up a hugely wide cake and crack the bowl of this already deeply rusticated pipe!)

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I had something a little similar happen in a Sav 315EX. The bowl is very wide in that pipe and I can fit my thumb all the way to the bottom, and there is extra space. I generally let it go out through the bowl, stir with a pipe tool, and relight. That seems to help, but I don't know the solution.

Reactions: Worknman

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Joh's xtra large 1/4 bent apple with a really wide bowl, I've just been smoking. I've run a number

of tobaccos through this pipe, and it seems to burn evenly across the bowl. It hold so much, I do end up

with a little dottle, but it does burn evenly across. It's one of those pipe bowls big enough for my thumb.

So this may not just be the diameter of the bowl. The Stomboli, as I recall, has some of the most intensely

rusticated briar I've seen; I wonder if that keeps the temperature at the sides low and slows down burning.

Just an odd theory. But I don't think it's just the diameter.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"The Stomboli, as I recall, has some of the most intensely

rusticated briar I've seen; I wonder if that keeps the temperature at the sides low and slows down burning."
You may have something there -- the deep rustication does keep the sides of the bowl very cool. Interesting thought.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I prefer a narrower bowl myself, for that exact same reason. I have only one wide chambered pot, and although a beauty grain-wise, being a Comoy's Blue Riband, I rarely reach for it. My best smokes come from billiards, chimneys, Dublins, Lovats and such. Just not pots.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
And, while we're on the subject of Jobey Strombolis, any idea as to what's behind the design of the split slotted stummel? It sure builds up a lot of gunk!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Hi guys. I'm new to the site. I too have had similar problems. I have a circa 1950's Charatans make pot. It has a little over 1 in. bore dia. It's a wonderful old pipe, but occasionally burns quicker along the side nearest the draft hole/stem. No matter what I do that pipe never smoke the same way twice. I still love it though. And for six bucks at an antique store, it's awful hard to beat!

livivian520

Lurker
Jun 24, 2013
It's one of those pipe bowls big enough for my thumb.So this may not just be the diameter of the bowl.
v2c.gif

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I only own one pipe that has a 1 inch width bowl and I only smoke Carter Hall in it. I think the type of cut is important with large bore pipes. I think it has to be a fine cut and it has to be dried properly to get an even burn, at least that has been my experience. I owned a pot once and did not care for it at all.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Huh,? I get this when I try to use the air pocket method. Smokes a hole down the middle.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I think Harris' thoughts are good on this. I have a Hackert that is really squat and wide and it's hard to get an even burn, but finer cuts do seem to work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.