Bought A Pound Of Ennerdale: What To Expect?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After receiving a pouch of Condor from oldreddog last year, the thought of buying some lakeland blends has been on my mind from time to time. Really liked the Condor BTW. How does Ennerdale compare, if at all, and are there any preferred bowl shapes for lakelands?

Mar 1, 2014
My sample of Condor was way, way less floral than any form of Ennerdale I've tried, but then again the little samples of Condor that come in a plastic wrapper seem to have lost most of their topping, or at least that's what seems to have happened given the contrast between the reputation of the blend and my experience with it.
Bulk Ennerdale doesn't beat you in the face with roses like it does fresh from the tin, but it's still possible that any given batch could have fresh topping.

I'm almost curious enought to try ordering some Ennerdale Plug, but I know the toppings are good and strong coming out of the tin so that's probably the only form I'll be ordering from now on.
Unfortunately I'm still figuring out what bowl shapes are good for in general, but my best guess is that given that Bulk Ennerdale is a flake, it should be smoked like a regular VA flake.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Capt. Ennerdale is more like a stronger Erinmore flake to me. It's a much brighter fruit and nut smoke. I have a feeling you will enjoy it. :puffy:

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
On a scale of 1 to 10 for Lakeland Flavor I'd put Ennerdale at a 10 and Condor more closer to a 4 or so.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Might have to take a day off from work when it arrives. Sounds like I'm going to fall into the "love it" catagory with this one! :D

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I've enjoyed Ennerdale and several other lakelands... but it almost goes without saying... they GHOST THE EVERLIVIN DICKENS outa anything they touch!!! ...Even up to 5 miles downrange... and then some! Bloodhounds can track them from 500 miles.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I loved Ennerdale when I first tried it as it was my first real plunge into the Lakeland genre but then I made the mistake of trying the almighty Condor and now Ennerdale tastes mediocre comparatively. I still like Ennerdale but I think I enjoy it more in the winter months. As others have said, it is flavored with a heavy hand but setting the flakes out to dry will mellow them out some. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

I prefer to smoke my Ennerdale in a long and narrow billiard.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
You can expect floral goodness. I would suggest picking either a cob or a pipe you're ok dedicating to Ennerdale as it's gonna ghost like the dickens. I have a meer that I smoked a few bowls of Ennerdale in and a couple of months and several dozen bowls later I still get the odd whiff of floral.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Been on a vintage Zulu kick lately. Think this might be my Ennerdale pipe.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/1940-39-s-Pat-Era-LINKMAN-39-s-Dr-Grabow-DELUXE-Zulu-Estate-Pipe-w-PROP-LOGO-r61-/262481239069?txnId=1834624733016

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Where's the best place to try a bit of Condor? I've been wanting to give it a shot to see what all the fuss is about but I don't see it online..

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I'm just finishing up a 50g tin of Ennerdale that I dedicated a Diplomat cob to.
I really like it. I think that I prefer it in cold weather but it is good anytime.
It will really open up those sinuses for you.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Condor wasn't absolutely horrible.
Ennerdale flake was like smoking a urinal cake sprayed with old lady perfume. Absolutely horrid. Ghosted my mouth for days and my pipe for months. Worst experience of my pipe smoking journey.
Ennerdale is much stronger in the Lakeland flavoring than Condor. I highly suggest trying Ennerdale in an unused cob you don't care for.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd love to own a pound of stinky weed like Ennerdale. I'd have a cob, a meer (maybe) and a couple of briars I'd dedicate though. I might even have a dedicated room or smoke it outside, and I live alone!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Ennerdale also ages incredibly well. As time goes on the scent dissipates and you will be able to taste more of the fine VA's. Make sure you jar some up for later down the road, you will not be disappointed.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I've been playing with the idea of grinding up a few flakes of Ennerdale and mixing it with either virgina or burley to lessen the full floral experience. Tame it down to a condor level. lol

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
To be honest, most of the floral topping seems to be in the tin note. I found that during the actual smoke, the flavor was not that Extreme.
I've never tried Condor, but I found jitterbug's analogy helpful:

On a scale of 1 to 10 for Lakeland Flavor I'd put Ennerdale at a 10 and Condor more closer to a 4 or so.
I might say the same about Dark Flake Scented vs. Ennerdale Flake: the Ennerdale is at least double (if not more) the topping of the Dark Flake. That said, when I smoke them, it's not actually that different of an experience topping wise.
Even more interesting is the room note: when I smoked Ennerdale around others, they could not smell the room note of the Lakeland essence--it seemed much less prominent than your average aromatic.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
You got some 'nads to order a pound of that blend without sampling it first!
It's the heaviest Lakeland I've yet had. I was quite put off at first, dumped the bowl. After a few weeks in a ziploc, I tried it again. It had dried out quite a bit and a lot of that heavy scent was gone. Still there, mind you, but much subdued. I liked it from then on. I still get that scent every time I open that drawer, even though the Ennerdale is long gone.
Good luck with that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.