PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyfats

Lurker
Jul 26, 2011
oxford Florida
So I am impatient as the pipe I want is out of stock now. So I stopped by the nearby tobacco store and purchased an

eight dollar pipe, it's the first time I ever used one, not to impressed, my guess is its just crummy... Anyone else buy a pipe like this before? You think most pipes in that range are bad or am I doing it wrong? :) I do like the tobacco I got well enough though, called montego bay, not to bad. Thoughts?
Edit: Fixed the post to make it readable.... Bubba

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Cheap often ain't good. A cob would have served you better I am thinking. Or maybe a nice Dr Grabow.

BTW Joey, check your PMs top of page right side.

joeyfats

Lurker
Jul 26, 2011
oxford Florida
Hey uncle arthur, thanks for the response, I seem to be having issues with finding the "pm" link you mentioned, I checked my message box to, I am confused help :crying:
Edit: This one too...

ivan08

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2010
i purshased cheaps pipes long ago.. in my early days as a pipe smoker.. about 3 years ago hehe (a Sanda and a Brindisi) but i learned the lesson :oops: so after that i buy Boswells or Petersons.. someday i want an Ardor! too expensive for me right now :?

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I have to laugh because the first pipe I ever purchased was a Sanda, and it was broke before I actually got a chance to smoke it. The stems pull straight out but if you are unaware of that fact, and happen to be moderately strong you will destroy a Sanda. I broke the pipes and was literally astonished. Before I realized aI was applying to much force it was done. My second pipe was a cob, and while cheap it at least got me hooked. I still enjoy cobs, but mostly I find the bowls to be too small.
My next purchases were "cheap" Savinelli naturals. For around $40 they are surprisingly nice pipes. Brigahms are decent too, and are the only pipes I will actually smoke with a filter.
If I had it to do all over again I would just by savinellis and boswells. For the money the boswell pipes are awesome, and every Savinelli I have bought thus far is a good smoker. A savinelli can cost $40 or $200 and they all seem to be good pipes. I have yet to not like a Sav, and I have about a dozen of all different shapes and sizes. I wish women were as amicable.

joeyfats

Lurker
Jul 26, 2011
oxford Florida
Thats the kind i got,Sanda...I am going to be having Uncle arthur custom make me one,much rather have something of quality :)

Im glad im not the only one though to buy cheap pipes but there is no way I could use it long term...

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I agree with Uncle. If any of us were smart and starting from scratch, we would by 3 or 4 cobs and live happily ever after with that and pocket the rest of the change. But us boys love our toys!!

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Another recommendation: These are my new tests for letting a pipe into my collection. if you are buying briar is to get a friend to hand you some with your eyes closed first. Between the pipes I am making for myself and those I am buying, hand feel is the first test a pipe must pass. Second is ergonomics, i.e: how naturally does the bit end up in my mouth. Next test is how well it smokes. and last, is now it looks. Since I started using these criteria, I have been happy with everything that makes it through.

Jul 12, 2011
agree with Uncle A as always...cobs rock! I have several and they smoke like champs day-in/day-out and that is what it is all about...our bacci :worship:

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
See I am a little different. Something has to strike my eye before I will even pic up the pipe. For me if its not something I'm interested in off of first looks I will probably never smoke it. But we all have different opinions on this which is great. If a cob is not what your interested in for a first pipe look around at our sites sponsors. They have many pipes for under $40 range that will treat you well for a long time.

joeyfats

Lurker
Jul 26, 2011
oxford Florida
Thanks everyone for all the great advice,seems like a lot of people recommend corn cob pipes.I may consider one in the future.But for Now I have decided on having one made for me by Uncle Arthur :) Seems I can't go wrong there!

Jul 12, 2011
@joeyfats, u got it brother...you can't go wrong having a few MM cobs in the rotation they run around $5.x from marscigars.com (cheapest I have seen the Country Gents, which I really like...bent...then have Uncle A make you a custom bit for them and it will be "money" :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.