PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I have been a fan of FVF and St James Flake. Grousemoor was alright and the limited editions fell flat on me. I Don't want to even try any tonquin bean laced tobaccos. So I been picky. Anything labeled "aromatic" I steer clear of. So when this hit the market, I initially said no, as it was listed as an aromatic. Read a few reviews here and there and I read into it more. Virginia and Latakia with single malt top note. You had me at Latakia. I bought two tins. Figured I wouldn't like them, someone here would.
Gents and Gals. This stuff is fantastic. The top note doesn't seep down and ruin the tobacco. The latakia is not harsh ever throughout the whole bowl. It has great sweetness from the virginia. It's just the best damn blend I've ever had. This beats everything. Gaslight, penzance, FVF, St James flake, 3P's, baltic Supreme, all the frog mortons, etc. I cannot even convince myself to have a different blend later tonight. It's literally the best stuff I ever had. Relights don't matter to me, it is a bit wet so there is dry time.
If you are a new piper, try this stuff. If you are an experienced piper, try it. 5 out of 5

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Thanks for the post farmer. I received two tins about a month ago but have not cracked them. This has bumped them way up on the list to try.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
How heavy is the Lat? I am not a huge fan of the Latmonster so I am curious. Great review!

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for the review. I have a tin but have yet to open it. It might be a good one to try over the holidays.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
It's not heavy at all. I didn't feel Ol Saint Nic kick in either. It's nothing like a Baltic and it's a cousin of English blends. Granted I had it in a Cobbit. So it may have mellowed a bit. I intend to try it in briar next. The Latakia in Penzance is very subtle, yes? So is this. It's a forefront and it stays with, but never overbearing. The Virginias come and go and accomadate well. I even wonder if the scotch top note is necessary. Definitely rub it out and then microwave it for 7 seconds before you pack it. Like all SG's it's wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.