PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I've read a number of positive comments on Boswell's Northwoods, so I order their English Sampler. Package arrived today, and I think I'll start with the Northwoods. It also includes Countryside, Magnum Blend, Mild English, and Titus. What do others who have tried these blends think of them?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I have only tried their Burley and Majestic 586 so far, both of which have been great. I'm hoping to get some more of their blends soon. Smoke them up and let us know what you think as well. I'd be interested to know how some of those others are, but I have been wanting to get my hands on some Northwoods for a while now. Happy smoking!

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
carolinachurchwarden. I finished a bowl of Northwoods. I'm probably not a good one to review tobaccos. I've only been smoking the pipe for two weeks, and still working my way through beginner steps. I'm not sure I've even developed a palate for discerning differences in blends, let alone the terminology to describe them. But here's my experience with Northwoods:
Boswell's description states this is "Full bodied and full flavor - a deeply complex English, but with a smooth and mild base of Latakia along with Toasted Virginias." Well, I don't doubt that this is true, but I didn't get the impression of this being full-bodied or complex, but again, this is probably my inexperience. To me, it was very mild, light, and somewhat woodsy/earthy. It burned really well until about halfway, then it was constant relights. I think it was me though, not letting it dry enough. Plus, it's more humid than usual here today.
Sorry, I know that isn't much help. I've tried about 11 different English blends in the last two weeks. I can't really tell the difference between them - they're all very similar to me. I can pick up differences in the aroma of the un-smoked tobaccos, but not much when smoking. At this point, I basically liked all of them, but only because there are none that I disliked.
I'm trying the Titus blend next. It has some Perique, which has not been in any others I've tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.