PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldpops41

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2012
Can anybody tell me bout Boswells Pipes ? What you think bout them, how they smoke and how to get one.

Jul 15, 2011
What you think bout them, how they smoke and how to get one.
Getting one is damn near impossible at least by most peoples standards. You usually have to be awake and ready to place a call at 9:30 AM right when they list their new pipes to get the one you want. As far as how they smoke, you are probably unlikely to find a better smoker for the price, at least that is what I hear from most peoples experience. I love the way that most of them look and I like that most of his pipes are of a larger size than most. His rustication is absolutely beautiful and a lot of his pipes have terrific grain and look great. Honestly, I really dont think you can go wrong.

Jul 12, 2011
I have several of J.M.'s work; a few bent/rusticated shots

-shells(dedicated to English blends) a bent/smooth

Spiral (dedicated to Virginia and VaPer/VaBur blends) a rusticated/

bent volcano (dedicated to Virginia blends)...what can I say about

them....every single one "Outstanding" from very 1st smoke ;-)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Actually, folks make it harder than it is. Boswell posts new pipes for sale on Thursday. If you see a pipe you like, and it is already sold (sometimes they sell within 10-15 minutes), call the store and tell them which pipe you liked. They usually have 1-2 similar pipes on their wall rack. Boswell posts 10-15 pipes per week on their web page, but has many more in the shop. They can usually get you something similar, but you will have to trust their judgement.
As for the pipes, they are somewhat rustic and larger. They smoke well, but take a little while to break in. Most of the stems are arylic but JM occasionally makes some in vulcanite (I had a vulcanite stemmed Boswell that I enjoyed more than my acrylic). Most of his shapes are freehands, but he does some Rhodesian/Bulldogs with his own flair.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
IMG_0527-1_zps9c15e8a7.jpg

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
By the way, these are the best people to deal with, very helpful and very friendly. They will go out of their way to help you.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have two pipes and I called in for both. On the second one there was a mix up and the pipe had been sold, but not properly updated on their site. Dan asked me if there was anything specific I was interested in and sent me pictures of several pipes he thought I might like. Later that day I was the proud owner of a bent shotgun shell pipe. I've only ever dealt with Dan, but he is just a heck of a nice guy. Two thumbs up for the class operation at Boswell!!

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Thursday is the day? That's good to know. I just ordered 2 Nording's giants. I enjoy larger sized pipes rather than the little guys. Thanks Al :worship:

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I can't say enough about Boswell. Julie and Dan are marvelous people to deal with. Extremely friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. When i need a new pipe, their website is my first stop. I have two. Their Berry Cobbler and Cherry Smash are outstanding tobaccos too. In you need a Tamper, go see Mr. Ed James (though Boswells makes nice tampers too).
DSC_0056.JPG

Boswell2-3.jpg

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I just hung up with Julie a new (finished yesterday) weathered stone poker with a large bowl is on its way to me today. Pics coming soon.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Hawk... that poker is gorgeous

Zonomo... really like hat first pipe.
I really like the look of Boswell pipes, I just cant afford one right now :lol: but as you can see from all the posts, you wont hear anything but good things.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have one of their "smaller" (which means normal pipe size) Christmas pipes from 2002. I got it for my Dad for Christmas back then. I've done some phone business with them before and they are super nice people.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
The Churchwarden is emerging as my favorite pipe of my kids. It smokes really nice but I also love the long stem, though i've smoked it with the shortie and that's pretty nice too. The other one is pretty huge and i need to carve out time to get a bowl in with that one. Its all good. :)

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I have three of their pipes and I love them all. Two were gifts from a friend who quit the pipe (lucky me) and the third I bought in the shop in 2004.
They smoke extremely well. I'm smoking one right now - it's a very small (especially by his standards) bent billiard with a vulcanite stem made in 1994, and the rustication couldn't be better-executed.
I'll add pics if my wife ever loans me her phone.
J.M. is a character and the rest of the family are lovely people.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
very happy with my recent Boswell... got one for xmas... and I have enjoyed every day since... got the poker... much like the one pictured by hawk...
first impression.... it smokes beautifully... one light each time... well crafted... very satisfied with the quality.
IMG_0614_zps88f294e2.jpg

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
Here is the one I ordered today should be here in a couple of days. The customer service is outstanding so I am confident the pipe is as well.

IMG_5903_zps9f07b9a3.jpg

oldpops41

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2012
saying he finishing up on two larger ones Man o Man o Man i like larger pipes and i have sent Dan some pics and told what type im wanting. I totally missed out on the new pipes they put on line and was really bummed out but i recieved an email from him yesterday i cant wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.