PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
After trading my Crazy Finger tamper, I have been thinking about making myself another wooden tamper. This time I tried to work with chunks of Whiskey Barrel staves! I made two tampers today, and they're a little funky. Here's how I made one of them.
DSC_0992_zpsvvkboqze.jpg

Used my table saw to cut some blanks from a Barrel Stave. This barrel was once used to age whiskey then purchased by a brewery in Minneapolis and used to age beer. The blanks reveal a knot in the wood, not an ideal thing, but I'm really just testing a proof of concept here. I want to make a nice pipe tamper for myself, this'll likely be another practice run.
DSC_0996_zpsnfvnkxmh.jpg

I mark out where I want the handle to be, then start grinding the wood to rough out the tamper end.
DSC_1000_zpsgcqukmis.jpg

Testing to make sure the tamper fits one of my cobs. The diameter is too big for some of the smaller cobs, but I decide to leave it as is.
DSC_1001_zpssywqcss5.jpg

Beginning to rough out the finger ridges. I want the tamper to fit comfortably in the left or right hand, but I don't want the handle to be symmetrical. The ridges are ground to suit this idea and they come out nicely.
DSC_1032_zpsqqlrutzv.jpg

DSC_1018_zpsh4amzjuf.jpg

After a bit of sanding with my flex shaft, and some burnishing with a scrap of wood from the barrel stave, the tamper is done. Here you can see both tampers that I made today! Although they're not perfect, I'm excited about the concept and can't wait to keep working with the barrel wood until I have a tamper that suits me to a T.
(Happy to send these off if someone is interested in trading.)

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Barrel staves, how very creative. Who'd a thunk it? Very cool.

My half-barrels are dedicated to planting as I have minimal soil near the house (next year will try growing tobacco).

When they are spent after about 30 years of use, they are broken down for firewood.

Maybe there will be a usable stave or two to carve from the next spent half-barrel.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Nice work. I've made a few out of Ceder at work, pick up pieces of scrap and fiddle during the slow time just to keep busy, end up giving them to fellow pipers I work with

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like the organic look. Burnishing is an excellent choice for creating the finish. :clap:

Makes me want to channel my inner Rustic.

Thanks for all the pix -- much appreciated.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I love cool tampers made out of materials with a story. I am willing to trade a tamper.

Status
Not open for further replies.