PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbk54

Lurker
Jan 28, 2019
I like to read while I'm smoking some good burley tobacco. Peter Hathaway Capstick wrote some incredible books on dangerous game in Africa and one of his books is The Last Ivory Hunter. It's about Wally Johnson who was an elephant cropping officer for a time and later became a sought after Professional Hunter leading safaris. i realize some of you may not approve of shooting elephants but in his case it was to thin the herds in overpopulated areas. In any case this book and also the rest of Capstick's books are great to read while smoking a bowl full of your favorite tobacco. By the way Wally Johnson always had a pipe in his mouth (a bent). According to Capstick he smoked some sort of "evil looking black shag tobacco" but I don't know what brand it was. Just thought share my thoughts on this.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Jim Corbett is your man I f you like man vs. dangerous game nonfiction. He hunted lots of tigers and leopards that ate tons of people in India in the early 1900’s.

“Man Eaters of Kumaon”

“The Man Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag”

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
I am not for Elephant hunting. Since it was overpopulated in one area, could they figure out a way to transport the elephants in areas where it not a populated area. That would be the dangerous part there. How dangerous is it to hunt elephants? I know they run fast and I am sure the hunters have guns by now in Africa, so what is the true challenge? Kill at destination or struggle like a true man and try to re-locate? I have not read the book ,so I know very little. I mean it would be harder to hunt a chipmunk. They at least can go faster..

sbk54

Lurker
Jan 28, 2019
Well, it was a different time back then. The farms and livestock were being threatened by the overly high elephant populations and the governments over there thinned the herds both to protect the farms and to prevent the elephant population in specific geographical areas from becoming over populated which would result in starvation for both the elephants and the people living there. I'm not sure how it would be possibly to herd elephants but I guess it could possibly be done today. Not sure about back then though. I think the meat was consumed by the people. I enjoy hunting but I wouldn't want to kill one myself for the same reason that I don't hunt bears even though I don't have a problem with people who do. But I do think that population control by controlled hunting/thinning is the best way to ensure the survival of the species. I realize that the elephants were there first but the world was (and is) what it is. Today many elephant herds are slaughtered by poachers for their ivory just like was done in the early 20th century, even worse actually because the old time ivory hunters took the elephants with the biggest tusks they could find. Today the poachers kill every single elephant they can, some with tusks only weighing a few pounds, babies really. Controlled hunting in Africa, including sport hunting, is the primary funding mechanism for protecting the wildlife over there and gives economically challenged countries money to pay for things like armed game rangers that hunt the poachers.
Anyway, Wally Johnson loved his pipe. I've watched videos of him guiding safari clients back in the fifties and sixties and he always had that bent briar in his mouth.

scpipes

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
Vancouver, BC
If you have Instagram, I recommend following a fellow named @pipes_and_pages. I've picked up some of the ones he has read. All the posts are photos of pipes and books! he also reviews some now I believe.
I will also make a suggestion: Rural Rides by William Cobbett

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
For the last week or so, it's been "The Count of Monte Cristo".
A personal favorite.
Also recommend: "Captain Blood" - unabridged version by Rafael Sabatini
About to start (as soon as it's delivered): "To Hell And Back" - Audie Murphy

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Currently reading "On Desperate Ground": The story of Chosin Reservoir, the Korean War's greatest battle.
Colonel Smith of the 1st Marines was a piper and smoked Sir Walter Raleigh.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Being an H.P.L fan, have you tried Cornell & Diehl Miskatonic Mixture? From the name and description, I am thinking it might be a good match to 'The Shadow over Innsmouth'. - Sherm Natman
shermnatman, it's on my wish list :).
I wish these forums would send notifications on replies. I don't think I've ever used a forum online that DIDN'T do that until this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.