PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Does anyone here own a Bob Clark pipe? If so, how would you rate it against other pipes in a similar price bracket?
Over the past couple years or so, I’ve seen examples of his work for sale online, both handmade and hand-finished. This isn’t intended to insult anyone, but the pipes, especially the stem work are quite amateurish in appearance, yet they are being sold for premium prices, in at least one case by a seller who I have come to otherwise trust.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Bob Clark the Reptile man is going strong!

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/barriers-challenges-change-implementation-30842.html

Jan 8, 2013
Looks like his website is gone but a lot of guys only do Facebook these days.
He is indeed on Facebook under Clark Pipes.
This isn’t intended to insult anyone, but the pipes, especially the stem work are quite amateurish in appearance,
I don't think I'd say they look amateurish, but I'm not a big fan of some of the rings he uses. Few pipes look well in my opinion with a stem or shank adornment that isn't flush with the diameter of the stem and/or shank. Otherwise I found a few while browsing his photos that I thought were quite nice.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
So you also note that some of his pipes have stems and shank adornments that are not flush with the diameter of the shanks. That’s one of my reasons for using the word amateurish to describe them. Poorly executed would be another way of putting it. Of course it’s possible this was his intention. Can you point to a well regarded carver who also utilizes this method?
I believe there are others in this forum who could better outline the point I am trying to make, but when a well regarded seller represents these pipes as something they don’t appear to be, and I believe the pricing for some of these pipes alone might incorrectly equate them to higher quality work by other carvers in the eyes of the uneducated or unsuspecting, it is doing a disservice to the community.

Jan 8, 2013
Can you point to a well regarded carver who also utilizes this method?
Well here's a La Rocca for example.
004-006-21892.2070.jpg

Here's a Don Carlos...
004-006-20923.5445.jpg

A Moonshine Deviled Egg ( I actually own two like this)
image41-600x400.jpg

Not normally my cup of tea, but it's done from time to time. I don't care for the look myself, but I do like the look of my Moonshine pipes that have adornments similar.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Ok, I see we’re using the same terms to describe a different situation. I agree with you in not appreciating those types of shank rings.
Here is a perfect example of what I’m talking about:

$200?
(I would have linked the picture directly but was unable to)
Anyway, I know this is all my opinion, though I would be surprised if it were not shared by many, and at what point does a shared opinion become a standard? In this case of standard of execution for a particular level of price and representation as an object created by an artist.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a fool and his money will soon be parted, caveat emptor, so on and so forth...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some details really annoy some pipe people. Some carvers tend to go their own way, and if the work functions well and has appeal for some, it's good to have the variety available. Those little metal plaques on pipes of the year and the pipes with the little duck ornaments aren't appealing to me, but others rather like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.