PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vermonter

Lurker
Nov 29, 2012
I posted some time ago about a 40's-60's era Blue Riband (unsmoked) which I had the extremely good fortune of inheriting from my grandfather. Mint shape medium billiard. I want to start smoking it this summer, but the stem is extremely tight. I've taken it out a couple times by twisting it, but it is very difficult to get the pipe apart.
I've heard that loose stems in old pipes can tighten up again when smoked, and if that happens in this pipe I worry that it would crack. Anybody have experience with the tight stem, or (God forbid) with a cracked pipe? Is there any chance it could get looser after smoking? I could carefully sand it out but I'm hesitant to do that...
Edit: Moved to Pipe Repair and Maintenance, L

Good question.

:puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
3200-4000 grit micro-mesh on the tenon should do the trick. Just pinch it around the tenon and go around once or twice lightly and then give it a try. If it won't go, do another couple of rounds. No big deal. Hard to mess up if you go slow.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I've used the freezer and sanding that rothnt just mentioned, but in your case, I also strongly recommend having a professional work on the pipe.
A Comoy's unsmoked Blue Riband is quite valuable. Yours even more so to you, since it was your grandfather's.
If you check Mike Meyer's site, you'll see that it will cost about as much as a couple tins of tobacco to have him work on the pipe
Let us know what you do and post some pictures when you get a chance.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Ohhhh... It's unsmoked. Well, that is a different story. I'd still do it myself, but if you're at all unsure, let a pro do it. That's a very lucky inheritance.

vermonter

Lurker
Nov 29, 2012
Thank you all for the excellent advice, and especially for the recommendation of Mike Myers. Right now I have my hands full with an upcoming move, actually to an area much close to Mike, but I will contact him later in the summer I imagine.
For those who requested photos. If these fail, go here.

Edit: Couldn't fix the pictures, L.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Holy moly, that's a pretty pipe! Thanks for sharing those pics. Any idea why this particular pipe went unsmoked?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It is one very nice pipe.

You could try rubbing the tenon with a pencil.

Like the graphite used to lubricate a lock, it should help.

Word of caution... DO NOT USE POWDERED GRAPHITE!

If you get it on the exterior of your pipe it'll be there for a long time...

I have used a #2 pencil with success.
Something not mentioned as of yet.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS:

I mention it only as a word of caution...

If you remove the stem while the pipe is warm the stem will loosen.

In this instance it ain't a good thing.

Good luck.

:puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Vermonter:
That is one beautiful Blue Riband and I'm glad that you treasure it so. I broke my grandfather's Mastercraft burner because I hadn't found this site yet to ask the questions you have. You're much wiser than me.
Several months ago I picked up a lovely patented Saiseni Fantail, circa 50's-60's, that had the same problem. Three complete revolutions with a 4000 grit micro mesh pad have alleviated most of the stickiness, but it's been a three week process. I'd make a pass, wait a week and then try again. One more swipe with the pad should do it and any tuning up from that point on can be done with a chunk of beeswax. (Amazing stuff, beeswax. It loosens and tightens.)
Mike Myers walks on water around here, and rightfully so, but you're perfectly capable of facillitating this fairly simple fix yourself. I'll send you a 4000 grit pad and, if you're patient, there won't be anymore overnight freezer stays for this beauty. (Just return the pad.)
Let me know.
Cheers.
Fnord

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Gorgeous Comoy Blue Riband. Unsmoked that would easily fetch three fifty on eBay. Plus its a family heirloom. Priceless. I'd ziplock baggy the pipe and pop it in the freezer for twenty minutes. If its not loose at that point, then send it out to a competent repairman for fixing. Google Pipedia and Comoy to get a history lesson if needed. Great pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.