PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So, I know we're trying to avoid moisture in the stem...
How many of you blow down the stem before loading up a bowl, to get those bits of ash and tobacco that being wet clung to the sides of the stem, but now have dried and will simply be sucked onto the tongue, if not blown out?
I know it adds moisture to blow into the pipe, so most do not do it, but maybe it is necessary. Perhaps we should use a stiff pipe cleaner to clear out the shaft before smoking, but too often, there is not time, and so the only remedy is to blow out the pipe.
But is this a good idea?

May 4, 2015
Why is your pipe dirty before you smoke it?
I blow after I smoke to make sure it's cleared out, though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Shouldn't be dirty before you smoke. I only blow through the stem to rehydrate a loaded bowl.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
This will probably get my knuckles slapped, if not banned, but what the heck.
Suck honey, suck...blow is only an expression.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Never. I usually rinse out the chamber and airway with water, which cleans out not only ash and bits of unburned tobacco, but some brown gunk as well. Paper towel dry/pipe cleaner in the airway and ready to smoke in a couple of hours.

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Geez, with a title like that I got all excited and had to rush to see what it was. Now I'm disappointed, not really sure what I was expecting but I'm still disappointed.

But actually on topic I blow through the pipe to make sure it's cleared out before packing it.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
This thread isn't what I thought it was going to be at all.. 8O
I do blow through the stem, especially after some of the threads involving bugs that I have read.
On another note, some say they blow the moisture into the bowl before running a pipe cleaner throught it when the bowl is done. I used to do this, but now I don't, as it seems you are just adding unwanted moisture and off flavors to the briar IMO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I pipe-cleaner and blow out the bowl immediately after I smoke, after I scoop out the ash, before I polish up the pipe. Then it is usually plenty clean for the next smoke after at least a day or two of drying time.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am very proud of the userbase of this forum for not taking this thread to a sticky place.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
DM, nice header ... :puffy:
On topic, I tend to swab all my pipes after a smoke with a cleaner dipped in 50% alcohol 'white lightening' superman vodka; and then I swab it with a clean cleaner and leave it in to dry until my next smoke with that pipe. This prevents me from grabbing a pipe and forgetting a cleaner as a bonus. But it is lame when I am not at home. When I am out with a pipe, I tend to do a blow down the stem after a smoke and content myself with the notion that the moisture I introduced will for most part evapourate by the next time I re-use the pipe. When out for short periods I generally just have one pipe with my 'pipe roll'.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
We've got blow jobs and people claiming they always start off with a clean pipe....
Must resist.....

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I blow after every bowl, never think to blow through it before loading though. I've heard of running a pipe cleaner through the stem down into the bottom of the bowl, loading the pipe, then removing the pipe cleaner to avoid tobacco bits making their way into the stem

May 4, 2015
^ Ha. Should do that. I usually just spit out the bits I suck in to my mouth and then cuss as I walk back inside to grab the pipe cleaner I forgot for my smoke anyway. I guess this practice would kill both birds with one stone. The things ya don't think of...

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I've known about the trick and have never actually used it. Just spit the bits out and go on with my light lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.