PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

profwillis

Lurker
Apr 19, 2015
So, one of my pipes has a blockage in it that, from what I can tell, is just an unusually large bit of residue. Unfortunately, it seems stubborn; I've tried poking at it with a straightened paperclip, putting the stem in a cup of hot water, and letting it rest with a pipe cleaner soaked in whiskey, all of which I've seen suggested in various places, but it still refuses to come out; the closest I've come is with the soaked pipe cleaner, but even that just seems to move the blockage up and down the stem, and I can't get it out one side or the other. Is there a way anyone knows of to break the blockage down, or am I mistaken as to what it is in the first place?
If it helps, the pipe is a Forseti Rustic Bent Canted Billiard.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Insert your pipe cleaner in the button end and push toward the tenon. The airway in the stem is smallest just before the button. You might try soaking the stem in alcohol overnight . The stem may need to be straightened and the obstruction drilled out.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Odd, I can't imagine tobacco doing what you describe. My guess is it's a chunk of wood. If the blockage is in the stem proper, I would remove the stem and place it in the freezer overnight. It may shrink the blockage and also allow it to pass without hanging up on the way out. Then again, if it is wood, and it is wet with any H2O, then it would probably expand. :(
Regardless definately follow ejames suggesting of pushing from the button end towards and tenon. Use one of the bristle scrubber pipe cleaners, push from the button and pull the pipe cleaner out the tenon end, repeat until the blockage works it's way out.

profwillis

Lurker
Apr 19, 2015
I feel kinda dumb for not thinking of using bristled cleaners, I'll definitely try that, thanks. Hopefully I don't have to do anything drastic like drilling it out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm trying to visualize what the blockage is. Sometimes pipe cleaner fluff can jam up in the stem, but this sounds more stubborn. It could be a piece of tobacco stem that has broken off and lodged there, with edges that keep it from moving much. Some blends have the occasional stem. The soaking treatment might work on that. If it is a foreign object like glass, metal or plastic, soaking might not work. At worst, you might have to buy a new stem for the pipe, but that's not so expensive. Good luck.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Strip a piece of suitable solid core wire and use it to work from the button down. I've cleared a few with this method. It may require mutiple soaks in alcohol combine with the wire. I've removed some pretty solid chunks of tobacco debris from estate pipes. Be patient.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
I agree with ssjones. I have had pipes on my bench that were plugged solid with a tarry mess and years of neglect that needed a ton if work just to pass a thin wire. To be honest, some of the things you see come out of pipes like that make you wonder how in the world someone thought that was normal.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I'm wondering if a good soak followed buy a strong blast of compressed air might blow it out. Best performed outdoors I would think as it could get messy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
While not available to many, I have a source of a steam blast, courtesy of my espresso machine. I am wondering how that might work in deep cleaning of stems- and shanks for that matter. Any experiences? Any advice?

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I had the same problem, used a guitar string. Actually a bass g (yes, I know).

Broke a hole through the stem.
To experiment, I put it in an old sock and ran it through the washing machine.
Came out unblocked, and it fits the pipe. (shame about the hole)

Status
Not open for further replies.