Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I'm not a fan of Latakia, or at least blends that could be called English or Balkan. For me the Latakia overwhelms everything. I do however, occasionally enjoy Mac Baren Plumcake, whose small amount of lat I find interesting. Plumcake is just a change of pace blend for me and not something I'd like more frequently.
Can anyone suggest something that has a similarly small amount of lat but more in the style of a Va or Oriental mixture. But definitely with the lat way in the background? Thanks

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
When the weather gets warm, I reach for Sutliff's "Voodoo Queen". It has just a hint of latakia, and more than a hint of perique. It's delicious.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Two seriously good sleeper blends are the Bulk Match BSOSM (Very highly rated) and newest Match Presbyterian. Price is great and blend is right what you seem to be looking for, and for sure, what I was looking for.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo krizzo
Greg's Fillmore has just a hair of Lat in his great VAPer, so little that you don't even taste it. Rather you sense its presence from the body it provides.
Anniversary and Bjarne's The Special One have some Lat, but way behind the VA. If you like Plumcake, you might try Solent Mixture.
hp

les

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I'm tempted to suggest Frog's cellar but it may have more Lat than you prefer. To me it's a small amount compared to the whisky flavoring.
Another good one is Bald Headed Teacher from 4Noggins.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I second the Frog's Cellar. I consider that to be light on the lat.
Also a fantastic tobacco is McClelland's Yenidje Highlander which is an oriental blend with a very small amount of latakia.

Greg's Fillmore has just a hair of Lat in his great VAPer, so little that you don't even taste it. Rather you sense its presence from the body it provides.

Are you sure that you are not confusing this with his Laurel Heights? I've never heard of Fillmore as having latakia. But, with Laurel Heights, Greg has come on the forums and said that the percentage is like one flake per bowlfull.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you like Haddo's Delight, you might want to try Two Friends Valle Crucis (by Tarler & Pease). The advertising hype says that it has a generous portion of Cyprian Latakia; but as a Latakia-phobe myself, I can assure you that in this blend it is used merely as a flavor adjustment. Like I said, if you like Haddo's Delight this would seem to be just what you're looking for.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I love Milan's Chartwell as a Lat-mild English. It is truly delightful. Just enough Lat to be noticeable but doesn't walk all over the blend.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Cos
Pretty sure about the Fillmore-Lat connection. This is not declared on the label, though I saw a passing reference to Lat's presence on TR - this must have been a prior version of the site. In any case, I asked Greg about this at a Golden Gate PC meeting several years ago, and he grinned and allowed as to how my conjecture was correct. I recall it was just the proverbial soupcon, in the order of 1% - not even condimental levels. Subsequently I thought he was ruminating about this tactic in one of his writings. Apparently tiny amounts of cigar leaf can also build body in an otherwise thin blend.
Digging for that reference, I found this gem instead:

"Trouble at the Fillmore

12th September, 2007: Posted by glpease in Product News
Ouch. Near the end of June of this year, a batch of Fillmore spent significantly too much time in the presses, resulting in a product that, while made from the same tobaccos, is very much different from what Fillmore is supposed to be. The tobacco isn’t bad, it’s just not right. The affected batch is considerably darker, an almost monochromatic deep red/brown, and doesn’t display the lovely golden strands that pepper the warmer hues in the real thing. Neither does this batch deliver the fruity aroma and complex sweetness that are hallmarks of Fillmore.
Again, the tobacco isn’t bad, but it isn’t Fillmore. To the best of my knowledge, the only bad batch is dated 24th May, 2007. If you have one of these tins of “French Roasted” Fillmore, and don’t like it, please contact me to arrange its replacement. If you do like it, enjoy it while you have it, because the manufacturer has assured me there won’t be anymore mistakes like this one. I hope he’s right…
Addendum: It’s come to light that the actual date of the tins is 24th May, 2007, not 27th June as previously reported. -glp"
I recall a couple of beefs years ago about a 'bad' batch of Fillmore with noticeable Lat. Reading this quote, it always amazes me how processing can affect the character of a blend. In this case, evidently the amount of Lat was the same, but the process aberration brought it to the fore.
Now my curiosity has me pawing through my tins - I have a bunch of Fillmore oldies, but now I need to get some of that aberrant batch. lol
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
GLP Westminster, Nat Sherman 536, among many in this category. I find 536 among the most refined and subtle blends, when you want mild but you want taste and complexity.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I would suggest two McClelland blends. Rose of Latakia and Yenidje Highlander. Wonderful blends with a suggestion of Latakia. Bombay Court might be one to try. I'm enjoying a tin from 2003 and it is wonderful.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.