PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'm still new to this. I'm trying out different blends and ways of packing and cutting and rubbing out etc. I sometimes get outstanding smokes and sometimes these wet, bitter tongueburners. I'm experimenting with virginia flakes mostly, it's what I like the most, and it is kinda challenging.

Then from time to time I pack a bowl of either Nightcap or Red Rapparee and they never fail. Always cool, sweet, tasty smoke from start to finish, leaving a dry sweet smelling pipe. I don't crave them as often as I do virginias, but when I do, they never fail. Nightcap and Red Rapparee.

Do y'all have some trusted blends as well?

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I think I would give up on the Virginias, sounds like you are on the right track with your alternatives.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I got several Cornell & Diehl bulk blends recently, Winchester, Virginia Gentleman and Shandygaff.
They are all easy going smokes. Ribbon/shag cut usually plays nice, moisture and packing considered.
I've also had an easy time with the very dry Daughters & Ryan blends, once I managed to slow my cadence to adapt.
Leave one of those challenging flakes out to dry twice as long as usual and see what happens.
Figuring out how to enjoy each tobacco has been an interesting part of the game for me. If I'm in a hurry or something, I just default to a more reliable option for that smoke.
If you save the flakes for relaxed times, those wet tongue burners will become less frequent.
jay-roger.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
workman, which specific Virginia's are you having issues with. When you have a great smoke, are you paying attention to the pipe you used, the prep of the tobacco, the moisture content, the size of the pipe, the shape of the pipe, the wall thickness of the pipe, the draft hole of the pipe, the stem of the pipe? How is that for a questioner?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My never-fail blend is Prince Albert. Tastes good (to me), burns well, isn't very expensive at all. Sometimes I don't want to chase mystic unicorns for that ultimately fulfilling taste experience (turning pipe smoking into work, in other words!). Sometimes I just want a basic smoke.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Never fail blends for me are:
Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd, Brown Clunee and Marlin Flake
Solani 633, Silver Flake and Aged Burley Flake
Dunhill Navy Rolls, Dark Flake and Elizabethan Mixture.
Samual Gawith B.S. Flake (Formerly Brown Sugar Flake)
Revor Plug
There are a few others too but I shall refrain from mentioning them because they are becoming a pain in the jacksy to find.
All those blends always give me a pleasurable smoke with no hassle of any kind.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Headhunter: I had that one coming. I enjoy the challenge. Just glad to have something reliable to fall back on.

Harris: I've read a lot on this forum, including your opinions on how to prepare va flakes and which pipes to smoke them in. I've taken your advice on cubecutting and it works well. I haven't got a whole lot of pipes yet, and I don't want to rush that, because I've already bought a few pipes that proved no good. Pipes drilled for filters and pipes with p-lips. Well. I'm a beginner and I make mistakes. My best smoking pipes are a few billiards from Stanwell and an old Orlik bulldog, all cheap factory pipes.

The tobaccos I'm trying out are FVF, BBF, 1792 flake, Irish Flake, BS Flake and others. My problem is, most of my smoking is done while at work. I'm a constructor, self-employed, and I work outside mostly, so that is ok. But for a newbie to concentrate on steering powertools and controlling the cadence of a temperamental Samuel Gawith flake at the same time, well, you get it. I'm trying to learn.

Jul 12, 2011
Some of my best smokes with SG Flakes; FVF, 1792, Bracken, etc. have been in MM cobs as well as Stanwell and Sav pipes ( the pipes I first purchased when I started years ago ). Now my biggest mistake with the SG flakes was moisture, those dang SG flakes are WET out of the tin ( at least all the SG tins I have opened ) - IMHO and for me , the dryer the better as I get the most flavor and no bite or moisture in the bowl - but you do have to watch those smoking speeds, that will also cause the bacci to overheat and then comes the burn - chem burn that is.
Don't give up on the flake, IMO some of the best bacci out there - I have found Peterson Irish flake, Perfect Plug and UF flake have less issues with moisture than SG flake and are more forgiving. I did tend to smoke WAY too fast. I have found that using breath smoking ( https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/advanced-pipe-smoking-techniques-have-you-learned-everything ) does work best for me but it did take some time to get it right, that technique might help you when working.
Also some other great flakes to try ; Dunhill Flake, Solani 660 and 633

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Capstan Flake Blue and Wessex Campaign Dark Flake

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
@Smokingdragon - breath smoking seems to be what I need. BTW I've got some PPP that I have not yet dared to try. Is it as brutal as Irish flake?

Jul 12, 2011
I would say that PPP is smoother to me, rich in flavor and that light fruit casing does work well for it. As others have also said, take your time in the prep, give it some dry time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
workman, well you certainly jumped into the deep end with those blends :clap: 1792 will ghost a pipe so you need to be careful with that one. SG flakes are some of the most finicky out there, hell it took me a while to get FVF to smoke good for me. I have found that with those flakes,a group 4-5 sized Dublin, Apple, Billiard with thicker walls works well.
Working while trying to smoke those flakes is a challenge for sure. Since you are outside it might make sense to try a fold and stuff with those flakes, just make sure you don't pack too tight as you need space for the tobacco to expand. Reason being you will get a slower burn and your pipe won't get too hot from the wind. Hell I don't know if I could smoke those blends outside while working and make them smoke great.
You should also think about getting a few pipes that smoke flakes well. I would grab a few thick walled Dublins, I have many that work great. If you ever want help trying to find some good inexpensive pipes, just let me know.

P

pipebuddy

SG St James Flake

Dunhill Ye Olde Signe

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
When ever i don't know what to pack, i usually grab my trusted Haunted Bookshop. Its my fail free one dementional smoke. Mississippi River is a close second, but i have had bad batches of the blend. If it was more conisitant, it would be my first.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
McClelland 40th Anniversary
Russ Oullette’s Magnum Opus
Any of the McClelland Christmas Cheers

Dec 28, 2015
I smoke Va flakes 90% of the time and normally FVF will never let me down. But one blend that absolutely never lets me down is Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. But I don’t smoke it all that often. Not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.