PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
After previously quizzing the forum I have found several wonderful full flavoured tobaccos that I have tried (McClellands British Woods, Rattray's Red Rapparee, Peterson Old Dublin, and Frog Morton On the Town). About 2 months ago I picked up a tin of McClelland's Oriental 14 (tin dates it to 2008 so I got it pre aged!). With several blends already on the go I waited till I finished something before opening it. What a mistake, I should have opened it straight away as I think this stuff is amazing! It must share some kind of leaf with Old Dublin as I detect a similarity.
Can anyone give me recommendations of other Oriental forward blends that people have enjoyed. Some I can easily get my hands on are McClellands Bombay Court & Bombay Extra, and Balkan Sasieni (none of which I have tried) but I will take any and all recommendations.
Thanks

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Your taste run similar to mine, which means you're a really cool guy. I've smoked all of those blends and just smoked Bombay extra an hour ago. I highly recommend that one.

For other budget friendly Orientals I'd recommend are Crown Achievement and even Presbyterian (a classic smoke).

Rajah's Court by C&D might be worth a look too.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love Oriental tobaccos and Red Rapparee is my favorite of all time. Here are several I really like, some with Latakia, some not. It's been so long since I tried Number 14 I can't remember it, but here are some more that are good.
McClelland

-The Grand Oriental line- Drama and Smyrna are top notch, but the whole line is good. Yenidje Highlander is the only one with Latakia.

-Samovar-

-Scottish Woods
Dunhill

-Durbar-Nice and sharp, smoking it right now.
C&D

-Rajah's Court- C&Ds interpretation of Durbar.
McConnell

-Oriental-Very nice, soft blend. It has latakia but it never overpowers. More floral than most of the others. Highly underrated.
Presbyterian-Everything said about McConnell Oriental is true for this one. Has a very floral, berry note when you open the tin.
Hearth and Home

-White Knight
Peretti

-Royal- Very dry, musty and spicy. Supposed to be close to the old Sobranie white, I prefer it to the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.