PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I'm finding that I keep reaching for BCA more than any other tobacco. I really enjoy the flavor, room note is good (War Dept doesn't complain) and it requires very few relights despite my crappy packing technique. Are there blends by McClelland, Peterson, MacBaren, etc. that are similar that I should be on the lookout for? I seem to remember 7 Seas Black may be comparable, but I have yet to find it sold locally here South Asia. No bulk tobaccos to speak of either.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Roth--yeah, that was post I remember; however, I can't find it here so I was hoping for some other alternatives...

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Sorry Roth-missed the last part of your post; will definitely see if I can get it ordered, and I will be in Spain in a few months and plan to do some pipe/tobacco shopping there as well.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
+1 kb7get, Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish is a good smoke, believe it or not! It's cheap, mild, smooth, and has never bitten me. I used to smoke it straight all the time, nowadays I use it mainly as a mixer, which it works great for, although I do still smoke it straight from time to time. It does require substantial drying time, so be prepared! I mix it 50/50 with Prince Albert for a blend I call "Black Prince" ( you know, like Edward, The Black Prince of Whales). It's a good smoke and cheap and simple to make!

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Googled it and by golly BCA is what it is! Lane's BCA! (Otherwise I was leaning toward Billiard Congress of America.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Five years ago, maybe they've found their BCA match by now or has moved on to other things.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Black Cavendish and Cavendish, aromatic ... so what's the flavoring? There are many aromatic Cavendish blends out there in bulk, pouch, tub and tin, depending on what you like as flavoring. I don't always get a lot of tobacco flavor from Cavendish, but it gives good smoke volume and it often lights readily and stays lit. Cavendish is a good condiment with Virginia/burley blends, such as Log Cabin (PC Russ O.).

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Wyfbane, me too. He answered a lot of questions and gave me some good advice when I was just getting started.

Sep 21, 2019
SoCal
I smoke BCA and I'm hooked. Not a ton of nicotine. I have tried quite a few different light Virginia's, Kentucky's, Perique Blends, Latakia
Burley's and blends of all the above at some time or another. Someone did a rave review on Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening, after half a bowl the nicotine had me seeing double. I would not dare drive my car and smoke it...what a buzz! I'm a retired cigarette and Cuban Partagas Serie D No.4 and also loved my Bolivars but nothing, nothing buzzed me up like the C&D Autumn Evening. I'm no longer interested in the nicotine thing. I receive a varied nose on the retro hale from the BCA, everything from aged Suntory Whiskey wiffs of vanilla a touch of light chocolate, and a tad of honey, not a desert smoke buy any means it's all there if your willing to look for it. If someone could produce a smoke that replicated a real well blended and aged Cuban Serie D No.4 with that floral/honey thing I'd be a on board in a jiff. One thing I've noticed, no one produces a natural floral honey pipe tobacco with or without casings. So until then, long live Lane's BCA!

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
BCA was the first tobacco I smoked. I loved it immediately and I thought this would be the only tobacco I would ever smoke. Oh how things change with time. I am currently on a Virgina kick due to the input of @npod and a few others, but I do circle back from time to time to BCA.

Last edited:

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
Lane BCA is very similar to captain black dark (to me at least) but, with a bit more moisture. It's a favorite of mine I smoke regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.