Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
I have been wanting to make a blend centered around Tambolaka for a while. Definitely not a fan of the nicotine content but do think it would offer a good background to build from. I have less than an ounce (.8oz/23g) and would like to use it all. I also have blending Latakia and Perique available. Not looking for too heavy on the Latakia, but definitely noticeable. I would like the Perique to ALMOST jump out of the flavor but not to dominate. I would also like to cut the nicotine content of the blend by at least half, preferably more, even if it means blending a pound. I am thinking maybe a touch of Macedonian Oriental but will need to add heaps of something light and complimentary to the mix, maybe Yellow Virginia? Would also be great to produce a brick, plug or cake. I don't want to end up with flowerbed mulch, any input or suggestions greatly appreciated. I am thinking something along the lines of Billy Bud Light with Perique undertones but don't let that change your thoughts. Where to begin?
The Tambo:

20140617_153551_resized_zpsa84eb818.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I mix mine with Condor and black or brown twist. I find it to be a very respectable smoke that will last at least one and half hours. It goes well with a beer and a scotch chaser and its a good blend for a pre-dinner/lunch bowl full.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As an after thought the room note is a bit on the oompa loompa side but hey I love the stuff and if you don't like it let me know as I will happily buy it off you before blending!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Tambo, as I've heard, is full-strength-plus, so I'm not sure you need other spicy tobacco like Perique to

enliven it. Rather, I'd try something quiet to try to mellow it and anchor it a little. I'd do this by mixing one/two

pipe bowl quantities in a ceramic soup/cereal bowl. You could try it with burley only, Virginia Red Cake only,

and see how they do. I don't know how Cavendish would work, maybe some Golden or unflavored Black. The

very strong flavor of the Tambo, and the nicotine, will supply sufficient excitement. Sure, try the Perique too.

Tell us what works!

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
@condorlover1 Yikes! I was always taught that two wrongs don't make a right... :) In all fairness I have never tried nor even see Condor in the flesh. Closest I have come recently is Ennerdale and still undecided on that.
@mso489 I was thinking of diluting the Tambo down as if it were a cigar additive, which it partially is. Burley and Viginia and the best choices, but not sure which variety and how much. I have some black unflavored (I think) Cavendish but didn't consider it. Might slip into the blend who knows?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The best way, I think, is to do the small quantities mixed in a ceramic bowl (just to make it easy). Equal parts

Tambo, burley and Virginia is also worth a try. Then you could flavor that, as a second experiment, with

a healthy pinch of Cavendish, as an accent, not as a Cavendish forward mix. I bet some one of these will

work pretty well. With home mixing, I've had best luck with not too many different tobaccos. I'll leave that

to the real tobacconists.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Well I got antsy and struck while the iron was hot. Ordered some Longcut Virginia, Large Virginia Flake, Smyrna, Macedonian Oriental and Burley Shag to go along with what I have. Now to work on some kind of press for around a half a pound. Thinking will build a box to put in vice or use PVC pipe.
Potential Ingredients:
Tambolaka 23g (.8oz)

Perique 15g (.5oz)

Longcut Virginia 28g (1oz)

Large Virginia Flake 28g (1oz)

Smyrna 28g (1oz)

Cyprian Latakia 42g (1.5oz)

Macedonian Oriental 28g (1oz)

Burley Shag (1oz)

Black Cavendish - unflavored ?

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Well I popped it out of the press today after about a month under pressure. Definitely a brick, definitely too moist to smoke without a little drying but smells intoxicating. Tomorrow while pulling my shift at the antique mall I plan on making an offer on an old tobacco cutter. If all goes well it will be sliced soon into about a quarter inch think slices. Then allowed to dry until color lightens up a shade or edges feel dry. Then vacuum sealed in 1oz or so packets for aging or samples. Moistened before pressing with a light infusion of Woodford Reserve and blue agave syrup for added cohesion and possible sweetness. Just a touch of both. At over 12oz, the 23g of Tambo ought to just barely be noticeable.
brick1_zpsf720cd3a.jpg

Brick2_zpsecec7b98.jpg

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Vey cool. I'm glad the pressing worked out for you. Can't wait to hear how it tastes!

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Thanks guys. I used 2 stainless steel trays nested together and squeezed them in a vice in a hot Texas garage. So sorta steam pressed, haha. The brick is air drying in the back room for now but the whole house smells of a magical tobacco aroma. Hoping for the consistency of Fusilier's Ration. I see more bricks in my future. Might experiment further with some 15 year old aromatics that I have been hoarding for barter post apocalypse.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Well they accepted my offer on the cutter! Tight fit but will brick to suit from now on. Needs to be cleaned, adjusted and sharpened. The brick itself is drying out, lost .5oz so far in 24 hours. Should dry to around 10oz.

20140726_192025_resized_zps15e1ab93.jpg

20140726_191938_resized_zpsa806caf3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.