PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Well I got my order in of different blends to try my hand at it. I received the following: Stoved Virginia(McClelland), Red Virginia(C&D), Virginia Flake(C&D), Turkish Izmir(C&D), Perique(McBaren), Latakia(Gawith&Hoggarth), Dark Burley(C&D). I mixed a very small batch as follows: 1tbsp Red Virginia, 1/2 tbsp stoved Virginia, 1 tbsp Turk, 1/2 tbsp Perique, 1 tbsp Latakia. I just got done smoking my first bowl of it. It is milder than I like but still tasted good. I think those of you who like a milder English would be good with it. I did not use the Virginia Flake or Burley yet. If it were you what would you add or increase to give it more punch?

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Thank you sir! I was hoping you would chime in as I respect your opinion.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
In tweaking your original blend, a bit more (upped to 1 Tbsp) stoved virginia & same amount of dark burley for more punch flavor-wise; the burley will also round out and add smoothness to the blend and amp up the nicotine. Try that using the same amounts of the other tobaccos and let us know what you think.
I made the adjustments you suggested and the nose hit really made a difference. It smells familiar now! Will fire one up later this afternoon and report back. Thank you

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
rothnh, That little tweak made a big difference. It went from ok to a real dandy. Thank you for your help. I guess maybe I will try blending a VaPer now. Would it be a good thing to blend all of the Virginias that I have in one part and an equal amount of Perique or just the red va. with Perique?

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your help. Wish I had a local tobacconist but even though we have 200K population there is only a cigar shop and that is it. I don't count the "discount" cigarette stores that sell dime store tobacco.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Be sure when you got the final blend down to let a batch age for a couple weeks in a jar to allow the flavors to come together.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Since I'm pleased with my first effort I mixed a Va/Per as follows: 4tbsp Red Virginia, 1tbsp Perique, 1tbsp Stoved Virginia, 1tbsp Burley, 1tbsp Virginia Flake. Just got done with a bowl and it turned out pretty damn good. I wish I could describe the taste as many of you can but I can't. Feel free to chime in on this one too.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I am enjoying the journey alot. I'm not trying to replicate a certain kind just looking for similarites to blends I've already enjoyed to know I'm in the ballpark of what one blend should be. Thanks for your help again it has lessened the learning curve for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.