PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
So, my uncle has been telling me recently of a pipe he discovered in his attic, that was gifted to him many years ago by a friend in Montreal. I was quite excited to see it, but not overly so, because, my uncle not having been a pipe smoker at that point, I think I was expecting a standard billiard basket pipe.
Well, yesterday I finally got to see this pipe, and boy was I wrong! Unfortunately I don't have pictures of it atm, but it's a beautiful black-stained sandblasted zulu. On the side of the stem I clocked a red spot, and on the bottom a stamp: Blatter, Montreal. I of course asked trusty Google what he thought of this, and I was directed to their webpage, which states 'pipe artisans since 1907'. I went on to explore their history, and pipe envy really hit me at that point!
This company is a new one for me, and I definitely think I'll have to have a piece made by them now! Anyone else know of this 'Blatter & Blatter'?

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Not sure if you are serious.... or if this is a spin-off from the "urine" thread. ;)

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Blatter and Blatter make real good quality pipes. I live in Montreal and got 3 pipes from them. Their standard pipes are real good for the price amd their handmade are awesome and not pricey either. Their pipes looks really classical tho, nothing fancy. Check out their website, they are old school, I think they can ship to to you if you call them, no sale on the website. Btw prices are in CAD ;)
http://www.blatterpipes.com/cat.htm

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. My only Blatter pipe gifted to me by Pruss, AKA PAT,who lives in Canada and is a fine young man and contributer to this Forum. He said that this big one is from the 80s and I believe unusual for the Acrylic stem. It's big which I like, smokes very good and I will cherish this pipe.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I have to echo Gurox's comments on the "Select" line. I've worked on about 45 of them. They are wonderful pipes.
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard nothing but good. Missed them on my trip to Montreal, but I won't make that mistake again.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Wow, thanks for your input everyone, that's damn interesting! I go forth into the pipe smoking world a little bit smarter... :puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Averageagent:
Pruss is the supplier of most things Canadian in my collection. If he echoes Guyrox then that man walks in truth and light. I have one Blatter Select and while it's certainly the prettiest in my lot that particular pipe is the 2nd best smoker. Even Blatter entry level pipes can be very good to excellent smokers thanks to solid briar and superior engineering.
All of mine, save the Select, pass the the pipe cleaner test. (Go figure.)
The really good news is that most Blatters sold on the Bay are very undervalued. I can't speak to the newer models as most of mine are twenty plus years old, but those vintage smokers will please you immensely.
@ Bradley: I love the size of your Blatter. It's also the first one I've seen with an acrylic stem, Frogman.
@ Shikano53: Your Blatter grain runs true north and it's gorgeous. I'd love to know more about the double red dot.
Fnord

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
One more thing.
I offered to buy Fearsclave's Rhodie right out of his mouth and he, mulishly, rejected my offer.
I don't want a new Rhodesian from Blatter. I want his because it's a classic design and it also happens to be one of his favorite pipes.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.