PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Picked this not so little number up at Blatter & Blatter's in Montreal on Saturday. For those who haven't heard of them, they're a family-owned pipe store that's been in operation for over a century. Originally founded by an expatriate London pipemaker named Frederic Blatter, the three family members currently running the store are all members of the Confrérie des Maîtres-Pipiers de Saint-Claude.
071-600x450.jpg

Here's the view from the topside, with a tin of Durbar that I also picked up, as well as a pipe knocker and a few other sundries:
0732-600x450.jpg

I'm looking forward to trying it out.
My plan is eventually to build a rotation of Blatter & Blatter's, in classic English shapes. One reason, aside from the store's atmosphere and the pleasant service is the fact that my maternal grandfather, seen below was a customer. That's likely a Blatter he's smoking:
100_1056-450x600.jpg

P

pipebuddy

The family is Swiss in origin. Their first shop was in South Africa, at the end of the 19th century. Rumor has it they are the ones whom invented the Calabash pipe.

My advice (so, do what you want of it), from a long experience with them: If you want to buy their pipes, go for the Sélect line. Their basic line's stems are made with poor quality vulcanite and their briars smoke hot. But the Sélect line is great. More expensive, but a great value still.

Status
Not open for further replies.