PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Thoughts and opinions on this tobacco? I'm a Perique lover and what attracted me to this was McClelland's own description. They didn't call it a Virginia/Perique, but a Perique/Virginia. Wow.
I have some on order.

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
I got some a while back. I was surprised at the "ketchup" tin aroma. It was quite strong. While I don't find most VA/pers bitey, this one was a little. Robust and rich, it's worth a try.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Blakeneys Best Baked Bayou Slice was the first VaPer I really got - and to this day it remains very high on my list of all time favourite tobaccos. Lots of amazingly sweet and deep Reds with a healthy portion of Perique to keep it grounded. Definitely one of the hidden gems in the McClellands line, in my opinion.

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
Blakeny's Best Bayou Slice is pretty good stuff. Haven't smoked it in a while, but it's got a spot in my heart. There is a pleasing depth there.

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
I had always heard about the Ketchup aroma. It doesn't bother me so much as it was just startling the first time I opened the tin. Fine stuff. I'm going to give it a go later today as it's been open a couple weeks. I really dig McConnell Scottish Cake and Occasionally Bayou Morning Flake.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Thanks Schmidtz. How does it compare to Beacon extra? Sounds similar.
Tedvig- that ketchup aroma is classic McClelland. Definitely turns some folks off
P1: Couldn't tell you, I'm pretty sure I haven't smoked Beacon Extra yet. I'm not really much of a VaPer guy, just keep a couple in my cellar for days when the mood strikes me or I don't feel like stinking out my wife with a Lat bomb.
P2: When I penned my review of Three Oaks Syrian for the main-page, I mentioned the (absence of) the 'McClelland' ketchup aroma. Tad Gage, who I am sure has forgotten more about tobacco than I will ever know explains in the comments that this actually has nothing to do with McClelland specifically, but rather is the aroma of heavily stoved and steamed Virginias. I would be inclined to agree, not only because he knows what the hell he is talking about, but also because I've since experienced blends from other houses featuring the prominent aroma.

Status
Not open for further replies.