PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
For those of you that love Black Frigate have you also tried Blockade Runner? If so how do they compare? As it is now I can hardly tell there is any latakia in BF. So I was curious if they are very different.
Also how does their Bourbon Blue compare?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
BR is Virginia and rum, where BF is Virginia, Orientals, unsweetened Black Cavendish, Latakia, and rum.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
From the description makes it sounds like it's only latakia and orientals added. I have a hard time noticing the latakia and orientals so that's why I was curious if there was much of a difference.
"For C&D's Black Frigate, Latakia and Turkish are added to the Navy Cavendish which forms the base for Blockade Runner (Virginias soaked and aged in Rum) to produce a true Royal Navy blend. Pressed and cut into an old fashioned crumble cake."

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
If I recall correctly, there's some BR on the way to me from one of our generous forum members... Very excited to try it!!

Jan 8, 2013
I've yet to try Blockade Runner, but I plan to very soon. Black Frigate is one I now consider a favorite that I'll always have stock of. I love latakia and normally I think I'd rather have more than what BF offers, but it works perfectly in BF as is. It's just enough in the background to keep things interesting while the other components take a more frontal stage. Great stuff.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
I like both. Depends on my mood. I don't really get a strong rum flavor from either, though I am working on a tin of C&D's The Beast... now that scratches my rum flavor itch (and makes me twitchy) :D

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I smoke both and although neither is a "go to" smoke, both are frequently enjoyed. I find Blockage Runner to be a traditional Navy Flake ( sweet and light) while Black Frigate to more closely resemble a very mild English. Black Frigate seems to have a bit more complexity and less sweetness than Blockade Runner. I suspect they share the same base elements, each offering a slightly different flavor profile to that base, depending on your mood. I enjoy both often. C&D does do some wonderful things with our beloved leaf and these two are a splendid example, taking a traditional preparation and giving it interesting variation.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
BR by itself is a bit harsh for me. I blend it with a bit of Aged Burley Flake and/or Escudo. It's a unique no nonsense tobacco that functions as great mixer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.