PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have smoked a couple blends of Cavendish, Lane Ltd, and Smokers Pride (also made by Lane) I found I ended up with some serious tongue bit. I know alot of cavendish's use quite the bit of PG to keep is sweet and moist. I am looking for a GOOD quality black cav that does not have any PG in it or bite. I find myself very sensitive to it, and have had a few occasions where I have had bite so bad it was like eating Jolokia Peppers. I couldn't enjoy the bowl due to the bite. I don't haul on the pipe hard, and avoid smoking outdoos on windy days, also all my pipes are opened to 5/32" draft hole. I have spoken to my doc about it and he said he smoked some cavendish that did the same thing and he found out he is super sensitive to high amounts on PG in certain blends as well, although he couldn't recommend any to me since he hasm't tried it since for fear of bad bite again. (Yes my doctor smokes a pipe 8) )

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Bullseye flake is in my order soon to be. I was looking at all the brands mentioned as well and there is a little in the reviews about them not biting, but it depends on the smoker. I'm the kind of guy who likes a solid answer not a 'depends on' answer. thanks for the tips though! I will be placing another tobacco order in a couple weeks from smokingpipes for some larger sized containers of blends other sites don't seem to have. Understandable some stores carry certain things some don't.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
Pretty much all tobacco has some sort of preservative on it, usually propylene glycol or some vinegar solution, but some of the OTC ones have considerably more (understandably so). What you are looking for, by the way, is "unflavored" Black Cavendish, which is far more subtle and just velvety-smooth. You can still have Black Cavendish that is further cased to death. I would second the recommendation for P.S. Luxury Bullseye Flake.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Cavendish:

I think what you may be experiencing could be tongue "burn" rather than "bite". Many black Cavendish tobaccos are high in sugar content. Too much heat + Sugar = tongue burn. On the other hand, many black Cavendish tobaccos have burley as their base. So you could have the true tongue "bite" resulting from alkalinity.... who knows :nana:
Russ wrote a good article on this a while back. 3rd paragraph down.
Like neverknowsbest said, many tobaccos will have some kind of humectant, like PG, but the better tobacco blenders will generally use less.
Finally, just like Sam, I can't quickly come up with a pure, non-aromatic black cavendish. Even Bullseye Flake (which is excellent) has some vanilla I recon. Plus it also has Perique in the blend.
I would perhaps venture to MacBaren's Black Ambrosia (some Virginia and citrus) or Cornell & Diehl's Green River, which is a pure Burley Cavendish with vanilla. McClelland has something called "Special Black", but I haven't really had more than a couple of bowls. I recall it being very sweet. Finally, I had one tin of Sutliff Tabac Noir once and I think that may be the closest to a pure black cavendish I can think of. It was alright in my book, but might be closer to what you're looking for.
Good luck and keep up the exploration :puffpipe:

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
What's PG ? I've been smoking Wilke Aromatics for over ten years and I'm very happy with the smoking and taste, before that I bought anything with substantive amounts of Black Cavendish and it was hit and miss even with more costly brands.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
What's PG ? I've been smoking Wilke Aromatics for over ten years and I'm very happy with the smoking and taste, before that I bought anything with substantive amounts of Black Cavendish and it was hit and miss even with more costly brands.
I assume they mean propylene glycol, a common preservative that is found in almost all tobacco (if not a vinegar solution or some other such method) and many other foods/drugs you consume. Some tobaccos, particularly OTC blends, have more preservatives than others. I'm not sure it has much of an effect on tongue bite or burn. I think the different methods of re-hydration and preparation different manufacturers use has more to do with the effect on your tongue than the preservatives used. I know my tongue doesn't agree chemically with anything by Mac Baren, for instance, but many other people don't have any issues. Everyone is different.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
PG = Propylene Glycol: Food grade preservative added in moderation to tobacco to preserve moisture.
Some blenders use it more freely than others. It's considered generally harmless and serves to avoid your tobacco from becoming as crisp as dried grass. There's lots of posts and articles on this forum here on that topic so let's leave it at that shall we ;-)

Reactions: Chicken Cod

madmick

Lurker
Oct 31, 2012
I would have to agree with Belgian Mick for the MacBaren's Black Ambrosia. It has a good smooth flavor and the room note is nice. I have only been "bit" once with it but I was puffing like a mad man on that day for some reason. :oops:

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I would suggest Boswells paradise or Milan's Midnight,or black forest. That is if your looking for a all black tobacco...IMO these are all great.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I find pure black Cavendish to be like smoking air almost, it's much to light for my taste. You may be getting burnt tongue from having to puff so hard trying to get a satisfying smoke, which happened to me. I took the rest of my black Cavendish and added burley and amphora full aroma to it and made my own blend which is great

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
MacBaren's Black Ambrosia and McClelland Special Black were two that caught my eye. It's so hard to choose sometimes lol! I guess if I don't like it I can always offer it up for trade on here to someone who has a blend I might like. Does that happen freaquently on here? Afterall this is just one HUGE pipe club as the way I see it anyway :wink:
checked the that page already and all the ones mentioned in everyone's posts are exactly the ones I was reading about and trying to figure out which to try. I am placing an order from noggins soon and I might ask for some small samples of cavendish blends to try it out and see.
I also see stuff that looks like bricks or slabs of solid pressed tobacco. I am assuming this is the pirate flake stuff I hear about sometimes?
Wow SO much stuff to read about! I listen to the radio show and read articles to learn more, but there SOOO MUCH! lol It's awesome though, that's what makes the hobby what it is.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I find pure black Cavendish to be like smoking air almost, it's much to light for my taste. You may be getting burnt tongue from having to puff so hard trying to get a satisfying smoke, which happened to me. I took the rest of my black Cavendish and added burley and amphora full aroma to it and made my own blend which is great
I would like it in my cellar for the same reason :P I would also like to have some on hand for 'breaks' from stronger blends or flakes.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Pretty sure it was in one of your threads the other day that I mentioned I really enjoyed green river black cavendish, it's almost on the dry side on arrival, good cheap bulk cavendish and can be found on our sponsor sites.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Pretty sure it was in one of your threads the other day that I mentioned I really enjoyed green river black cavendish, it's almost on the dry side on arrival, good cheap bulk cavendish and can be found on our sponsor sites.
Yes it was and I did a little research. I put that on my wish list as well ;) Thanks for all the advice and tips all! SO helpful around here!

Status
Not open for further replies.