PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Picked up this little Bjarne Nielson today....it is unsmoked.. anyone know anything about them?

Bjarne2.jpg

Bjarne.jpg

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
It appears unsmoked but has a precake almost like some of the Stanwells I have, does this sound right? I have never seen one so not sure. Either way I really like the little pipe. I have found a few on different sites since my purchase and I believe i got a good deal.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Wow, awesome find, they really smoke nice and cool with the bamboo, also a premium $
Friend has one, gave in the neighborhood of $160 without a case

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
The one I have is an amazing little pipe. Mines a quarter bent with bamboo shank & cumberland stem, tight straight grain all the way around the bowl, really lightweight and well built. Its one of the best pipes I own to be honest with you. Yours looks to be as well built with the same great looking briar, whatever you paid for it, its probably worth more than that.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Bjarne made pipes for years and years. He died in 2009 or 2010. Mogens Johanssen, who made pipes with Bjarne, now carries on, and sells under the "Johs" line.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, I didn't say it before, but that is a lovely pipe. Is it a signature?

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
Bjarne Nielsen pipes are much like W.O. Larsen pipes in that the "A" list of Danish carvers contributed to the higher grades sold under that brand. "Bjarne" pipes were the "common" grade pipes sold by the while the "Bjarne Nielsen" were hand carved by the likes of Poul Ilsted, Tao, etc. I know that at Larsen, many of todays top carvers were hired and on staff while others would bring pipes by form their workshops when they needed grocery money or quick cash for their work. Probably the same occurred at Bjarne Nielsen's shop. You never no as a matter of certainty just who made a Bjarne Nielsen pipe but that beauty looks very much like it might have been carved by Peter Heeschen to me.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
If it's stamped "Bjarne Nielsen" rather than just "Bjarne" that indicates a high grade pipe. If so, it should be stamped A, B, C or D.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Bjarne

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Thanks guys and yes it is stamped Bjarne Nielsen in a very pretty cursive signature, but that is it no other markings that i can see.

panduji68

Lurker
Jul 7, 2013
I own two Bjarne Neilsen's, and both of them are superb smokers. In fact, they both are among my absolute favorite pipes. Great find, and I have no doubt you will thoroughly enjoy it... Congrats on finding a great smoking pipe!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I have a Bjarne Nielsen handmade. As stated earlier, different line than the Bjarne pipes. Mine is almost the opposite of yours on that it's a large ball/tomato with a tiny stem. A very unusual pipe and an outstanding smoker. Congratulations on your acquisition. That's a beautiful pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.