PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I managed to bite my inner cheek rather nastily last nite. It didn't feel like much at the time, but when I looked the laceration was quite a sight.
Do you guys still smoke your pipes when you have bites healing? Or do you wait till it's fully healed?
Hell, I was really looking forward to a bowl to-day and one to-morrow. I didn't smoke to-day, and I'm wondering if I'm not letting all that 'smoke is always bad' BS get to me.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
no clue. but i haven't done that in awhile. other than typical answer, i personally would smoke unless that starts to make things worse. used to smoke cigarettes with that, and flu and everything else. but if it concerns you, taking few days won't hurt.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I'd probably let it heal if it were me. The soft tissue of the mouth is highly vascular and heals rather quickly. But Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, it may slow down the healing. But that's just me, I find mouth pain to be exceptionally annoying. I would say to take it with a grain of salt, but my dad says mouth ulcers heal in 7 days when salted, and in a week without...

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
LOL, Elbert: my dad suggested applying salt to the 'wound'.
Yeah, the dentist told me that mouth tissue is designed to take abuse and heal rapidly. I'll see how it is in the morn, and then decide. Maybe, just maybe I can have a small aro bowl.
Aro... hmm... isn't sugar used to heal wounds?? :? :P

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I’ve done that before. Whether to continue smoking or not is kind of a personal preference I suppose.
I rinse with mouthwash a few times a day. Or at least in the morning after brushing and at night prior to sleeping. This really heals up any irritation or cuts inside the mouth. Usually overnight I see a huge difference.
However, It doesn’t stop me from piping.
Good luck. That’s a very annoying experience.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Without question, the laceration will heal quicker if you don't smoke. Nicotine constructs the blood vessels thereby diminishing the circulation. It would likely heal regardless, just slower if you smoke.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Personal preference I guess, but I would just take a page out of Toms handbook and wait until everything heals up. It should only be a few days for you to heal, unless its some huge gaping wound (in which case see a doctor not a pipe forum!).

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Smoke through it. Use mouth wash at least twice a day and enjoy smelling like wintergreen fresh

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I bit my tongue once to the point it bled and hurt like hell. The pharmacist recommended GUM Rincinol. It speeds up the healing by coating the wound. As for me, I don't smoke my pipe with a sore in my mouth.
692009.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I went ahead and had half a bowl of Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. Nice blend that one. I even managed to breath smoke for the first time!
I was thinking, well, I eat, drink gin, hot coffee, cold ale, salsa, and what not... what harm can a little smoke do?

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Yep, another fan of very warm salt water gargle here. I personally wouldn't smoke till its healed.

Status
Not open for further replies.