PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

familyfarmer

Lurker
Mar 18, 2019
Is there any technical relation to the bit style, or is it simply personal preference. I tend to go for the bent bit. Im exclusively using cobs at the moment. I'm carving a piece of 60 year old Walnut burl into a piece and am contemplating the stem design.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
If you want to call it technical, then some might say that a bent stem can create a greater likelihood of gurgle than a straight stem. Just one of the observations I've made. The bend allows for more condensation to gather in the stem which can gather near the draft hole at the bottom creating a gurgle. This can always be cleared by running a cleaner through to the bottom of the bowl, but some designs don't allow for the smoothest of transitions inside the stem to allow the cleaner to make it to the bottom of the bowl.
I've seen less of this happen with a straight stem, but I suppose it can still happen. As far as "technical" goes, that's about all I can think of, but maybe a few other will chime in.
I love it when the profile is sleek and smoothly in line with the pipe, whether that's a straight or bent stem. I like some pipes better with a bent stem and some better with a straight stem. My only heartburn is when a bent stem doesn't allow me to pass a cleaner. I don't always have to clear the airway, but when I need to, I want to be able to. That's my two cents, YMMV.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have no preference with regard to stems, having both straight and bent stems. Gurgling, which is another issue that I don't much care about, is more often than not the result of smoking tobacco that is overly moist, and it may be that a bent airway is less forgiving of operator errors. And, given the problems that people encounter I suspect that it take a bit more expertise to carry out making a curving airway from the chamber to the slot. Personally I haven't found any problems with either bent or straight stems.

Sep 18, 2015
I think it’s mostly just personal preference, mine seems to be for the 1/8 & 1/4 bent. I have bents and straights that have had a bit of gurgling in the past that don’t do it anymore, I’m of the opinion that the gurgling is about 99% user error.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy both. When it comes to the bit itself, I like fishtail mostly, though I have one P-Lip I enjoy, but wouldn't get another.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Bent stems, on the other hand, are better for clenching, especially when the pipe is on the heavier side, due to a lower centre of gravity, which translates into less strain on the jaw and teeth. Bent stems also keep the pipe outside your line of sight, which may make it easier to perform other things when clenching—driving, reading, typing forum replies...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I clench almost constantly. All of my pipes, briar and meer, are bent to one degree or another. Cobs? I pay little attention to the shape. When I buy a page, or box of 36 minis, they are usually straight as that's all the drugstore has.

mudcamper

Lurker
Mar 22, 2019
Sonoma County
I love it when the profile is sleek and smoothly in line with the pipe, whether that's a straight or bent stem. I like some pipes better with a bent stem and some better with a straight stem. My only heartburn is when a bent stem doesn't allow me to pass a cleaner. I don't always have to clear the airway, but when I need to, I want to be able to. That's my two cents, YMMV.
Yes! I currently only own 2 briars, both Petersons, both bent. I bought bent purely because I like the aesthetic more than straight. But the holes in the stem do not line up with the holes in the shank, so I cannot run a pipe cleaner without taking them apart. And they smoke wet more often than not, but I can't run a pipe cleaner through them while I am smoking them! It drives me crazy. Seems like a bad design.
So I have only been smoking my cobs as a result. First I don't have a problem with them smoking wet, and second, if they did, I can run a pipe cleaner down them no problem (which I have never had to do). Leaves me thinking, why did I spend a hundred bucks each on these briars when my six dollar cobs work so much better...
Is there anything that can be done to make the holes line up? Could I aug them out some or something?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a pipe or two that requires some cleaner "rotation" during the insert, but will eventually make it to the chamber.
A bit of a hassle at first, but, if you like the pipe otherwise, you get used to it.
When you insert the cleaner into your bent Peterson, go until you hit the roadblock.
Pull it back out 1/8 inch and twist it 1/8 turn and gently push back in. Keep doing that until you find the position that allows passage and make note of how much rotation.
Like parallel parking, it will be tedious the first few times, but eventually you'll just whip it in there without a second thought.
jay-roger.jpg

mudcamper

Lurker
Mar 22, 2019
Sonoma County
I have a pipe or two that requires some cleaner "rotation" during the insert, but will eventually make it to the chamber.
Thanks! Upon further investigation it appears that the holes are intentionally drilled offset, and there is about a half inch distance between them so it doesn't effect the smoke passing through.
So with one, I can do like you say, and rotate the pipe cleaner 180 degrees and get it to go into the hole in the shank. The other I have not managed to get to work yet but will work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.