PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
Hello excellent piper community...
Wanted to share this very recent experience. I pulled the trigger with wild abandonment the other week on Ebay...and behold...my Birth year pipe was delivered to me! It has obvious sentimental value as well as another most excellent reason to hunt down another pipe :)
It is a BBB special Christmas edition with a very cool dark blue translucent stem and is feather light. I really like this traditional billiard look.
Anyone else pull this self gratifying feat?
bbb-birthday-pipe_2-600x389.jpg

bbb-birthday-pipe_3-300x600.jpg

bbb-birthday-pipe_1.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very handsome looking pipe - I like that one a lot. I have a birth year 1962 Dunhill that is one of my best smokers to boot.
dunhill62-1.jpg

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
@numbersix...that is a real beauty...thanks for sharing.
@purplemotoman...seems we are both pipe smoking, motorcycle riding, born in 68 hooligans...right on!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have an eBay search set up, but I may expand the parameters a little - hasn't had a hit in months at this point, and nothing affordable before that... Which I suppose is the price one pays for being a classic. :P

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
For sure...to find a pipe that's almost fifty years old in good shape and of quality will cost. I was originally looking for a Barling (pre-trans) or a Dunhill but just kept getting beat out...or the buy it now was off my screen. Then this BBB came up and after some research and the fact that it was barely smoked...I feel like it fits the bill as a real classic; one that I can enjoy and get all sentimental.
@rsuninv...that is beauty...one of my favourite shapes.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I have several that COULD be from my birth year, but I only know within a +/- three year range ... plus, I have several others that are clearly older than I am ...

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
All you damned 1968 birth year pipers keep snapping up my birth year pipes!!!!!

joshoowah

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
I, too, have a birth year pipe. Mine took some time finding and a lot of research but it was well worth it.
Here she is: 1986 Caminetto (first year of second production). Yes, that is a good band.
2.jpg

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
Well gents...there are some real sweethearts posted here. I really appreciate your pics and posts. Very interesting with the Dunhill theme...seems to really be the smokers choice where nostalgia and quality come together. I know that pipes and the culture are important in our lives already, but all of the considerations that go into procuring a pipe that marks your arrival on spaceship earth is a pretty cool thing to ponder. Enough waxing...think I will ponder with a bowl in my birth year pipe!
Once again...thanks for sharing in the experience.
With Respect,

V

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
To get a Birth year pipe Dunhill pipe has year mark mostly but cost is little high.

I'd found Peterson has a year mark by a alphabet letter in hallmarks.

Easy to find and cost Little lower.
www.peterson.ie/t/TheHistory

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
@bentmike - Nice pipe! Don't really like paneled pipes but this is one that changes my mind.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks ant! Yes this panel is a huge one. Two hour smoke easy. I wasn't really a fan of the panel either but this one came as a gift from my girlfriend so like you it kind of changed my mind about the shape. The flat faces show off the grain different than rounded shapes.

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
@tbradsim1
Some beautiful grain in that birthday year pipe Brad. I have noticed that most of the Dunhills displayed in this thread are thick walled and wonder if that changes the smoke experience when compared to a thinner walled briar. All of mine are quite thin...average of about an eighth an inch. Wonder if it maintains the combustion and burn process more effectively making for a better smoke. Hmmm...more things to think about while I smoke one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.