Birthday Visit to L. J. Peretti's in Boston (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
The wife (of 24 years!) and I spent the day in Boston to celebrate my upcoming birthday and of course I made it a point to visit L. J. Peretti's. After a nice lunch at Fire and Ice, we walked around Boston Common, did some shopping (for her) and took in the sights on a beautiful sunny day, and finally made our way to the venerable Boston tobacconist.
JLP11.jpg

JLP10.jpg

Here I am, on the right, about to enter the store:
JLP3.jpg

Here are some random shots of inside the store:
JLP5.jpg

JLP6.jpg

JLP7.jpg

Here is a picture of the scale they use to weight out the tobacco; the gentleman told me it was made in 1802. You can see a brass weight in one of the pans:
JLP9.jpg

JLP8.jpg

JLP4.jpg

I bought 8oz each of Royal Blend, Park Square, and Cuban Mixture, a 4oz cake of Thanksgiving Day Blend, a Peretti Select Bulldog pipe and my wife bought a mini-cob because she said she wanted to try pipe smoking once in a while ...
JLP12.jpg

And here we are after the visit:
JLP2.jpg

JLP1.jpg

All in all, a great day! The folks at Peretti's were helpful and very cordial, as always, and shared a few great stories of the history of the place, as they are always glad to do. If you are ever in Boston, you must visit L. J. Peretti's!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Conlejm
Thanks so much for posting those pics.
I just bought some of the Royal along with a few others recommended by Peck. The ones I have are excellent. Let us all know how you like those blends.
What a great wife you have, ending your afternoon in the best place probably in Boston on your birthday.
And you guys look like a great couple.

Dec 24, 2012
Ah, the stories that bench could tell if it could talk. I have sat on the same bench a couple of times to have a smoke.
Congrats on the anniversary.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
You guys are a great couple!! And clearly your relationship is going just swimmingly if she is taking you to a tobacconist on your big day!!
Nice PAD/TAD as well. Good day, my friend.
Good day!

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I live in New York, But am a Boston Bruins Hockey fan. Me and my uncle go to Boston every year. Before I was into pipe smoking we walked past that place, and now when we go back this year I will have to stop in their and check it out.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Congratulations on the birthday, and on the day well spent in Boston. I can't think of a better way to spend a day than walking around Boston.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Thank you for an excellent share, Jim.
I's say you and your bride had a pretty spectacular day.
Happy birthday, pard.
Fnord

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Great pictures! I still remember visiting Ehrlich's when my brother lived in Boston, back in...the 1980's. One can never have too may pictures of an old school tobacconist like Peretti's. Happy Birthday!
Dave

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
An enjoyable day and one to fondly recall. Thanks for sharing! She's a beaut! Your old lady ain't bad looking, either. :puffy:

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing. that looks like quite the shop. Have to keep it in mind if I ever get up that way. Did you try the Thanksgiving blend?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
What a great day and wonderful place. I don't know if I'd ever leave there. It's definitely on my visit list the next time I'm in Boston. Thanks for the photos and have a happy birthday.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks for the kind words, folks! We indeed had a great day.
I have not tried the Thanksgiving Day Blend yet, but I will get to it this week. Looking at the ingredients, it reminds me a little of GL Pease's Barbary Coast, though I am sure there is quite a difference. Perhaps I will do a side-by-side.
Happy Veteran's Day tomorrow to all our veterans. Thank you for your service to our great country.

Status
Not open for further replies.