PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
So even though my birthday is today, I had a party on Saturday to celebrate. Ordered 50 lbs of fresh steamer clams from Seattle that were flown in Saturday morning, wife made a few loaves of her great grandfather's Italian bread recipe, and roasted 36 ears of fresh sweet corn on some coals in my firepit. Not to mention the four homebrewed beers I always keep on draft and my bourbon and single malt scotch collection!
I had a clam feed like this a couple years ago and folks have been begging for another, so I obliged. We ended up having more food than we knew what to do with! Menu also included some amazing Alaskan Cod salad, roquefort bleu cheese dip, panzanella salad, Texas sheet cake and much, much more. We ended up just filling a crockpot with butter for the clams and corn. It was a beautiful sight. The array of hot sauces people brought for the clams was also very impressive. I think my favorite was one from Louisiana that was a vinegar based pepper sauce (like Franks) but with horseradish added in. Went GREAT with the clams!
We had a nice fire in my fire pit even though it was hot out. Parties at my house almost always have fires associated with them, and this was no exception. I also got some tobaccos gifts from a buddy and was able to have a few bowls while relaxing with a dram of Auchentoshen... ok, a couple drams.
Aside from the tobacco, my birthday gifts were either alcohol-based (including a 15yo Glenlivet French Oak Reserve) or axes. What does that tell you about me!?! lol But perhaps my favorite thing was watching my 2.5 yo son play with all his little friends on his swingset and PowerWheel, and schooling them at T-Ball. One guy, three little girls. He's got it figured out ;)
Overall it was a great birthday spent with lots of friends and family and... I'm glad it's over. lol

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
That sounds like a truly awesome weekend, blessed with food, family and friends. Happy Birthday!!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Happy Birthday, Louisians rocks on hot sauce, the favorite of most Cajuns is Crystal hot sauce made in St Martinville, La just regular old sauce made by a family since the early 1900s.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
tbrad, my wife brought Crystal back for me when she was in New Orleans for work last week. The one with horseradish was called "Louisiana Gold".

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
A very Happy Birthday to you sir, great choice with the Auchentoshen by the way :puffy: Which line of their's was it? My favorite is the Three Wood, although I recently had a dram of the 18 year that was excellent.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
La Gold by Bruce's Foods recently bought by some mega company, Bruce's has been a mainstay in S La canning veggies, notably sweet potatoes , my Mom used to work in their canning plant during Sweet Potate Harvest. Good Products, and Happy Birthday again.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
pipenscotch, it was just the 12yo Auchie. Dollar for dollar, it is a hard scotch to beat overall. I've turned a few people onto scotch with that there bottle. A lot of folks that like American whiskey haven't had GOOD scotch, and get the impression that all scotch is Cutty Sark or Dewers... uhhhh no. Auchie is a great bridge between a bourbon and a scotch. That bottle of 15yo French Oak Reserve Glenlivet I got, is my third bottle of that stuff. It's a nice, light, floral, fruity scotch for the dog days of summer. All of a sudden, I can't wait til I'm out of work!

Status
Not open for further replies.