PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Recently a very special lady in my life surprised me with an incredible gift. While we were talking pipes I told her about how some Dunhill enthusiasts seek out a pipe that was made in the year of their birth and how I wanted to do that someday.

At some point after that conversation and unbeknownst to me my girlfriend educated herself on Dunhill history and tracked down this 1970 ODA Bruyere Panel. Needless to say I was blown away!

The inside of the bowl showed signs of use but was in excellent shape with only the slightest hint of a ghost from the past. I was very excited to give a 43 year old Dunhill a smoke and I was not let down. The big bowl smokes cool and dry. The tobacco flavor really shines through. I'm starting to believe the stories I hear about the older pipes really smoking well.

Stamping: Left, ODA F/T 836 DUNHILL BRUYERE Right, MADE IN ENGLAND 0 11 (small eleven)
A birth year Dunhill is quite a unique addition to a piper's collection but how this one came to me makes it extra special. I will treasure it always.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Wow - she's a keeper (and your girlfriend too!) ;)
Love the shape, color and grain - congrats!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Mike:
I can't phrase this any simpler.
Marry that woman.
What she did was a labor of love. Educating herself like she did in the mountains of Dunhill minutiae and lore took a lot of sand and an enormous heart.
Brother, I'm as impressed with her efforts as the pipe itself.
Fnord

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
ODA's are not often found, to get one as a birth year pipe in such an unusual format says a lot for your lady, hold on to her and may you both have many fond memories over that stunning pipe!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks gents for the gracious comments!
a lot of sand and an enormous heart.
-Attributes that this woman most certainly possesses. Don't worry I don't plan on letting either of them get away :D

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Wow... Great gift. I managed to track mine down twice and both times the price went well past my $250 limit. Maybe someday I'll be able to bump the budget. Congratulations and happy smoking. :puffy:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
That is just outstanding.
Wonderful girl, great pipe.
(Still on the hunt for the 1960 bent bulldog.)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Sweet! I love paneled pipes and this one is stunning. Maybe someday I'll look for my birthyear pipe but I hate to think what a 1952 will cost. Good luck with it and happy smoke rings.

Aug 1, 2012
That is an absolutely gorgeous pipe! That must be a fantastic lady to do something like that for you and I'm happy you found her...now don't let her go.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Bentmike, your are a lucky man in finding such a special lady and getting a birth year Dunhill in that size and rare shape as a gift from her.
Take good care of both of them.
I would like a birth year Dunhill but unfortunately, very few were made in 1942!
Happy smoking!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Wow! I'm blown away. Both by the pipe and the effort shown by your girlfriend. It's a perfect panel, one you're sure to enjoy. Pipes are memories personified, and this one is tops in every way! Congrats!

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Bentmike, that's a great looking pipe. Congratulations on the pipe and GF who is thoughtful enough to track it down for you. You are truly a blessed man.
Take good care of both of them. :)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
That's a beautiful pipe! Please tell your girlfriend how much she's impressed a bunch of pipe guys!
Pipe Trivia: I've heard some Brit pipe guys refer to this shape as a "Four Square" (a panel with a square shank).

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys and gal! Interesting trivia bigvan. Four square is a good way to describe it, I like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.