PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Did Bing Crosby design the Bing pipe or was it named after him because he was popular and enjoyed that style? Is it essentially a Canadian with a longer stem?

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Cool, thanks. I want one, I mean, I watch Bing's videos on the net and love the look. I've seen Canadians that look similar and are cheaper so I'll probably grab one of them instead.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
this was kinda of a neat read

not much about the pipe but alot about Bing

http://www.stevenlewis.info/crosby/LIFE%20OVERSEAS6-18-45.htm

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks Bob for the ebay link but I think I can get an estate Canadian, maybe it's a Bing I'll have to have another look, for about $25. A local fella has shoe boxes full of pipes and sells them cheap. He had so many I was overwhelmed and only bought two. He had a bunch of Bing looking pipes now that I think about it.
@pawpaw, cool story. I've read two bio's about Bing and seems like a stand up guy. The whole thing about him being a strict disciplinarian with his kids is true but I doubt he beat them like his son Gary claimed. Gary made accusations about his dad after he had passed and the will was read. It seems Gary wouldn't get a dime until he was 65! Bing had a lot of trouble with his alcoholic son and he did regret having raised his first family with the strict Irish Catholic upbringing he had but it was all he knew.
When I'm out for a run I have Bing's music on my iPod.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Couldn't sleep so I made this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rz1Ergxwp8&context=C3e66194ADOEgsToPDskLv6LVLlDp6N5PZCS0zkGvC

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
well google sent me here on page one of a new search
Love it!
My guess is that he enjoyed that style of pipe, and then the pipe companies started using his name when making that style.
I acquired a new, unsmoked Savinelli Bing's Favorite from Aaron Spelling's estate in May 2010. It's one of my favorite pipes, mostly because of the style, but it smokes quite well too.
Now I'm wondering if Bing was Bing's favorite search engine and if Microsoft named it after him?

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i have 48 pipes that belonged to one of Bings writer composer of some of his music.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Been looking around but darned if I can find it.
I had read somewhere that the Savinelli Bings Favorite is a reprise of the Merchant Service.

I have found this same mention on a few other forums but nothing that I can substantiate.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/286073-bing-crosbys-pipe.html

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I really like my Bing pipe. Great for a short smoke. I could be wrong but the pipe he uses to strike the bells on the Christmass while singing "White Christmas" tree in the movie "Holiday Inn" may be the signature pipe we're discussing here. Looks very similar to me.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
I really like the look of the Bing. Bob, that's a nice one ebay, I like that look quite a bit. Man I am learning a lot from all of you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.