PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
First, I hope this is the right spot to post this.
Second, I'm in the market for a billiard pipe. I'd prefer smooth and straight or a slight bend. I've set my budget at $75 (+/- $25).
Looking around I have quite a list of possibilities but I am not familiar with brands and would love it if I could get some help narrowing down the field.
Here's the list:
Butz-Choquin Capitan 70 Extra Lumberman

Savinelli Champagne 811 KS

The Everyman(by Comoy's)

Stanwell Featherweight 107

Peterson's X105

Savoy London Made 667 F/T

Sasieni Old England #19S

60s-70s GBD Century Matt #4301

Guildhall Pencil Shank (repaired)

Jean Lacroix 54 Diamant

Astley's of London 5502
Based solely on looks, the GBD, Guildhall, Jean Lacoix, and Astley are my favorites with the Astley being my most preferred. But this is just looks and not quality/performance based.
Hopefully the names will be enough for everyone to help, if not I can post some pics.
Thank you.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Are you buying online or in store? I prefer to but my pipes in store, that way I can inspect them pre purchase.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
The shops here in Vegas aren't that great so most likely online.
My brother keeps telling me to watch the auctions for an affordable Dunhill, Savinalli, or Larsen.
An "affordable" Dunhill is still out of budget. The Savinelli listed above is an estate pipe that looks like brand new and is only $60 so it's a real possibility.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have this Savinelli Roma 111KS as one of my latakia pipes and I am very pleased with it.
Here's a Trevi version of the same model, but smooth.
A little research may turn it up cheaper. I just grabbed the first link I found.
The KS is a bit larger than their standard size bowl, if you are considering bowl size.
Check the sponsor links along the left edge of the page for more ideas. Here's a funky bent stacked billiard from one of them within your target budget.
Welcome to the forum and good luck!
jay-roger.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Based just on my own experience & preferences, I'd say either the Sav or the GBD. Not didactic at all, just for info, have you checked out smokingpipes.com & their selection tool? If not I'm betting you might find a good price there, possibly *exactly* on one of the model you're looking for. I don't think you could go wrong on any of them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think your list is good. Nothing sticks out as a mistake. Keep in mind, some members only smoke higher end pipes and might not recommend most of these. But I think Savinelli, Stanwell, and Peterson do good work. Peterson a few years ago had quite a run of quality control complaints, but before (when I bought mine) and recently, I've not heard of much of that. Also French pipes tend to be excellent and above their price point -- Chacom, BC, Genod and such. Be sure you review exactly what you are getting. Filtered or not, or you can buy an adaptor to eliminate a filter on most 6 mm or 9 mm filter pipes. With Peterson, I'd go for a fishtail bit rather than a P-Lip unless you've tried a P-lip and like it. You are after a classic shape and finish, so you should have a good selection whichever you choose. You're on the right track. Remember, if you buy online, you can phone the retailer and ask them to inspect a certain pipe or pipes, and verify the drilling is good and meets the bowl centered, the pipe passes a pipe cleaner (all billiards of your description should), the stem meets the briar evenly all around, and so forth. Inspect the pipe closely on all these points when you receive it, before you smoke it, and return it immediately if you detect real problems. Otherwise you should do fine. Within these specifications, choose the one that makes you swoon; you want it to be a major pleasure, so don't go for something less. Within your stated budget.

Jul 12, 2011
I have never been let down by any of my Savinelli or Stanwell pipes and both are workhorses.
This one seems to hit that PAD feeling..at least to me :puffy:
Stanwell: Royal Guard (107)

stanwellroyalguard-107-002-034-8452.jpg

Measurements & Other Details

Length: 5.46 in./138.68 mm.

Weight: 0.99 oz./28.12 g.

Bowl Height: 1.67 in./42.42 mm.

Chamber Depth: 1.39 in./35.31 mm.

Chamber Diameter: 0.70 in./17.78 mm.

Outside Diameter: 1.21 in./30.73 mm.

Stem Material: Acrylic

Filter: None

Shape: Billiard

Finish: Smooth

Material: Briar

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Each pipe is different and everyone sees each pipe different. Your list looks pretty solid and I’m sure you’ll be happy with your decision. Post pics once you’ve decided

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Never had a Sav or Stanwell not smoke well. If you're new to piping the Sav with a balsa filter might be a benefit while you develop good technique.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I was ready to order the Savinelli Champagne but it was sold. I stumbled across a Savinelli Tortuga I hadn't seen before and new I wanted it instantly. I'll post some pics when it arrives.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The Tobacco Leaf is a good shop here in Vegas. The Lake Mead location has a pretty good selection of tins and bulk blends. They also have a great lounge to hang out in. As for buying pipes, there's not too much of a selection in the B&Ms in the valley. Typically my pipe buying locally is done at the West Coast Show in November at the Palace Station. You can find some really good deals at the show.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That Pete 105 is the smaller of two classic straight Pete billiards, the 106 being the larger. Of the two, I think I'd also look at the 105 for lighter weight and balance, but the 106 seems to be an excellent pipe too. Disclaimer: I own six or so Petes, but neither of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.