PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
OK, this guy is a piece of work. "Won" this auction and based on the description sounded like a nice pipe. I have 2 alligators in brown. You can see a little of the natural wood so went with his description as I have not seen any of the green, blue or red stained alligators in person and his desription makes the pipe sound like its in really great shape. Well the pipe us a turd and the reason you can see so much great wood is because the shellac stain has worn thin in areas or flaked off. The seller being the tool he is refuses to take a return and issue refund. I am fairly confident I will prevail with the ebay resolution people. Just does not seem like all the headache is needed. Below is the back and forth between us.
Hey there, sorry to bother you but the pipe is no exactly as described, you described the coloring as "They are able to stain the pipe blue yet have some areas where the natural color of the wood comes through. In person it is absolutely stunning". I have 2 other alligators but they are both brown and mey hide wear better. I dont know but the pipe you sent, its not the natural color coming through. It where the shelac cand stain have come off. Its easy to see the difference, the top smooth part next to the stem has the brown wood showing through but the same area n the bottom still has the shelac and stain in good shape. Basically the finish is just worn out in places. I hoped from your description it was really nice. Its not. I could possibly refinish it but do not have shelac nor the blue stain. It will easily run $30 for that stuff + my time. If oyu want to knock $30 off I wil deal with it, if not I would l9ke to return it and feel that shipping both ways should be refunded as the item is not as described and I purchased it based on your description.
Rob
Seller's message:

"I am sorry that you don't like the pipe. However, it is EXACTLY as I stated in the auction. Not to mention that I provided many pictures of the pipe to show the coloration. Note, I ran a cigar store that sold quite a few of these pipes and this pipe is in no way damaged, worn or disused. It is exactly as Savinelli intended them to be which is exactly as I explained it in the auction. If you wish, I can get in touch with the Savinelli rep in our area and have them provide the information about it. Being that the item is exactly as described, intended by manufacturer and by the pictures included in the auction I will not issue a refund.
Your message to the seller:

"That is the worst part that you were in the business for a while and should know what the pipe hould look like. From the photos I could not tell exactly what the condition was. The shellac stain is flaking off in parts. The parts where you can see the wood grain the shelac stain either wore trough or is just flaking off. Here is a Savinelli pic of hoe it should look.
Seller's message:

" It takes about 5 seconds to perform a google search to see that all of the alligator pipes are made to be exactly as I stated. Your requests are ridiculous and there is absolutely no "flaking" of the shellac as I thoroughly inspected the pipe as well as documented the condition of the pipe with the pictures in the auction. I provided extremely high-res pics in the auction which unless you used a cell phone to look at you could see EXACTLY as the pipe is. I will not be paying shipping and ebay fees because you have strange hangup about your purchase. Again, the pipe is exactly as pictured, designed by manufacturer AND explained in my auction."

"Yes you are correct, takes about 5 seconds and I posted some more and in none of them is the wood grain showing through to the extent that your pipe does. AND ys it is flaking off, I was trying to remove what I thought was just dirt but it was the shellac stain lifting up. The pipe itself is solid. Its the finish that took a beating. You even see it in the pics, the bottom next to the stem is solid blue, the top part the grain is going through. I just thought it was lighting that was off. But its not and did not realise it until I saw it in person. You are making a easy transaction difficult. Refer to your photos showing it is worn through in places and not in the exat opposite place on the other side.

"You have not responded to my last message. The pictures I uploaded show pipes with uniform stain. On the 18th I will escalate this to ebay customer service if you will not take a return."
Seller's message:

"Being that you have admitted to rubbing off part of the finish in a previous msg to me. I will not be taking the item back as you have devalued it by doing so. I will go ahead and escalate the case to ebay."
Seller's message:

"I've included the pictures that were directly from the auction. "

"The pipe was already flaking, I was trying to clean it up and buff with a hard carnuba wax. I have restored many pipes and not had any issues with the finish flaking off. Pictures 1-5 show how the pipe should look with uniform color and no spots worn through. Pictures 12-14 are of a pipe I recd. a few days ago. Its not real pretty. Pictures 15-20 are after restoration. Its not perfect as I do not have shellac to fill in the scratches but otherwise the pipe is solid. Your pipe came to me with a bad finish as can be seen in your photos and in my photos 6-11. I should be able to clean and buff a pipe without the shellac stain coming off. Unfortunatly the finish on your pipe is in such poor shape it need to be refinished completly, I do not have blue stain nor shellac to do this and it would cost me $30-$40 in materials and shipping to do it. You can not get the correct shellac at lowes or home depot. At shellac.net the platina shellac flakes are $12 for 4oz CONT.................. "...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................
"A pint of 190 proof denatured alcohol is 8.00, the fiebings dye is about $7. once you add in tax and shipping you are over $30. I do not have and of those materials as I have not had a pipe in such poor condistion that I would have to completly refinish it. Again I was not sure if the lighting was throwing off the the finish and went with you description of the pipe "This pipe has been extremely well cared for". "This pipe was my favorite because of the unusually beautiful color. They are able to stain the pipe blue yet have some areas where the natural color of the wood comes through. In person it is absolutely stunning". Sorry but the above is not correct. I went with you description of how nice it was when in fact the fisnih was worn through in multiple area. pecifically looking and the top by the stem it is worn through and looking at the same are on the bottom is solid blue. You over sold the pipe and I went with what you said."

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
What a horrible way to treat a customer. I'll note that seller and make sure I do not buy from him/her.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
No kidding. He obviously has no idea how to run a business. Kinda scary that he had a shop at one point. I can see possibly why he no longer has it.
Ebay is very Pro-buyer, and im sure that they will resolve this easily in your favour. I'd ding him for the whole cost for his deceiving nature
Warren

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
What a bollocks, and I note that he USED to run a cigar shop or whatever, from his attitude, one can see why.
As much as I slag off ebay's buyer focused attitude, they are excellent when an item isn't as described, and I hope things work out well for you and this charlatan is forced to submit to your terms.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Forgot to post a link to ebay where it was for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-Selection-Savinelli-Alligator-Blue-316B-Tobacco-Pipe-/291115008301?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=RYjmT7486EA3kOev%252FP%252FLMKYvmJc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I am really surprised at his attitude toward the whole thing. I am fairly certain that I will end up ok, just a lot of hoops to jump through. A lot of photos to upload. I buy junky pipes here and there and as long as I know what I am getting into I am fine with it and bid accordingly. I am not OK with sellers that put a spin on it and oversell. The whole used car buying experience feeling. And then when called out on it get all defensive.
the pipe I mention as being restored/refurbished is in the pipe repair section if anyone wants to see the before and after pics. It is not the pipe that I am having an issue with. Just trying to show that I can get a pipe looking nice if I have something I can work with.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Those pictures could have been taken weeks, months, or years ago. Or they may be of a different pipe altogether. Just my two cents.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Explains why he has a 93.8% approval rating. Surprised it's that high. Was this out of Texas? If so could be Kyle Black.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Ha too funny the infamous Kyle Black. Yes it is out of Texas. But he sent me the pipe does'nt KB just send out a lot of hot air? The 93.8 is because of my negative, there is a neutral as well. The thing is a lot of buyers are affraid to leave a negative as they do not want a negative. I am not too worried about a negtive. If someone is going to try and hose me I will leave a negative. If someone does not want my money at a later date fair enough. I buy too much stuff as it is. lol

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Actually (unless things have changed in the past year) Sellers cannot leave negative (or neutral) feedback. A long time ago Sellers could leave negative feedback, but eBay made a change a couple/few years ago. It has been about 15 months since I sold anything on eBay, so maybe they reversed their policy. I used to buy, fix, and sell guitars as a hobby and used eBay to do it (until they jacked up their fees early last year).

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Did not know sellers could not leave a negative if you left one anymore. I remember sellers would wait for you to post your feedback before posting but that hs been a while. Seems like I pay and they leave feedback pretty quick.
And yes there are buyers out there that are just waiting to cause problems. Is one of my concerns with selling pipes I make on ebay. But there are so many people on ebay you almost dont have a choice. Does not seem to be a lot of traffic on etsy.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
a picture of the pipe you received would be nice.. his listing does say bare wood and no returns.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
His listing says "They are able to stain the pipe blue yet have some areas where the natural color of the wood comes through" I have some brown alligators and you can see the wood grain, but the finish is still even and they are pretty pipes. This one actually has worn through area and flaking of the shellac stain. His pics are accurate, is the pipe I recd, his pics just are not close enough. Its when you get it in person you realise he's full of doo doo and the pipe's a stinker.
imgp7624-600x400.jpg

imgp7623-600x400.jpg

imgp7622-600x400.jpg

imgp7621-600x400.jpg

imgp7620-600x400.jpg

imgp7619-600x400.jpg

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Did not smoke it, I cant smoke something I look at and it looks like crap. I do smoke pipes but like collecting and making them more than the smoking. So for me the pipe has to look decent or it goes in a bottom pipe drawr never to be seen again.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Looking at his listing further, I can see how his pictures play with the light in a way that makes it appear more blue and complete than reality. He also didn't show the shellac chipping that is apparent on your second pic. He only showed the opposite side. You pictures appear to show a much more worn and faded pipe than the listing.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
psychpipes, you seriously were bidding on it? If so glad I saved you some trouble. Some sellers are ignorant when it comes to pipes, just buying cheap and trying to make a quick $$$. But this guy is not ignorant to pipes and for and used car salesmen on the forums I am sorry for disparaging your profession......this guy feels like you are buying a used car from him. Drive it off the lot and its your see ya.
Nice how he played with the pics huh.
I am going through some pipes to sell at some point. I found one last night that has charing in the bowl. I would never try to pass it off on someone. I dont know what I will do with it, maybe try some honey and ash to see if it will fill it and not char further. But certainly not going to try to pass it off.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
I have had one case go to ebay resolution, and I won, ws told to send the item back with tracking and they issue a refund. Other issues have been worked out along the way. This one looks like it will go to resolution and I think I have presented a case in my favor.
Glad you did not get this pipe.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Was able to escalate it today and was given a return label and instructed to return. Dropped it off at the PO so should have my $$$ sometime next week!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.