PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
As you all know, my PAD is completely in remission and I have no need of any more briars.
It is only for the sake of science I have acquired this eBay specimen. :roll:
s-l1600.jpg

LINK
I'm not finding much on the Silhouette series. Matte black with acrylic stem is about it for info.
Anyone have one? Likes/dislikes?
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Anyone? Bueller?
bueller.jpg

Well, how about matte finishes in general? Do they hold up? Make it much warmer? Any care tips?
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A sturdy bent billiard always has a place on the pipe rack. They travel well, no fragile shank or stem, and usually hold a nice bowl of leaf. I have a few of those, most esteemed.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The profile and shape are very similar to my Stanwell 185, although the Stanwell bowl may be just a little fatter in the waistline. Just from poking around, I suspect the shape is referred to as a 449.
You are right, MSO. That shape has been sturdy and dependable. Also deceptively comfortable as a clencher, despite size and weight.
If the finish is as durable as the shape, I'll be pleased. A search on the Silhouette series returns little info. A search on matte finish pipes in general shows a few by Vauen and a Jolly Roger or two. Still no reviews on the finish to consider.
I guess I'll have to beat the snot out of this one (for science, of course) and offer up some feedback on it.
If it's a turd, the auction also includes two cobs to play with... :puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Delivered fast. Delivered broken.
Tenon broken off in mortise. Looks like maybe even tried to glue it.
Anyway, full refund issued immediately.
Emailed Gubbel, Big Ben's parent company, asking about availability of a new stem for purchase. Shot in the dark.
Once that option is eliminated, who should I send this off to for a good repair (tenon replacement) job?
big-ben-tenon-600x337.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another bent billiard of this type is the long-discontinued Danish brand Bari, a factory pipe, but so well done. I have a fine sturdy example of that, and now that I have mentioned it, I will put it in line to smoke. It was a Christmas gift from my late wife's aunt a few year's after my wife and I were married. I guess she knew I'd be permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.