PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
hello forum,
I'm planning on an order of about 2 pounds from 4noggins. unfortunately, I've never smoked a good VaPer due to its unavailability here. so I plan on buying a good quantity when I order, what are your suggestions?
it's important that it is bulk, because otherwise it comes very expensive with the added shipment cost to turkey.

thanks!

Best? Hmmm... I have about 16 different VaPers in my cellar that all come in bulk, but I like them all. The reason for so many VaPers is that each blends has it's own something-something that makes them different. If we had an idea of what you liked, maybe we could better match you to one. Otherwise, you are just going to get a list of people's favorites, with each having a completely different flavor profile.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
les, it depends a bit on the price, but I'll definitely look into any suggestion.
cosmic, unfortunately there are no VaPers in turkey, so I've only tried one: CD's Bayou Morning. I suspect that this is a rather bland VaPer, looking for a stronger perique taste. I hope this gives you an idea.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo fyfo
Just off the top of my head, P&C has their excellent Hearth & Home Signature line, with the highly regarded Anniversary Kake, as well as Scotty's VR Blend, which was part of the Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club group. Rattray's has Marlin Flake and Hal O' the Wynd in 1 lb bags (or is it 500g?. Peretti's and Park Lane Tobacconists have their excellent blends in bulk. McClelland's 2015 is very popular, for good reason. C&D has a goodly bunch of bulk VA/Pers: Bayou Morning and Night, Exclusive (if you are immune to big Perique), Three Friars (some burley), Old Joe Kranz (more burley).
hp

les

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
thanks, but I think P&C doesn't do international deliveries. I'll be hitting their online store when I'm in the states this year.
also, how about Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake? I see the name popping up virtually everywhere, and I love flakes. is it a good choice?

Strong perique taste... Perique has a taste, but kind of like salt has a taste. It's hard to translate how it tastes by itself, because it enhances the flavor of whatever it is mixed with. A small amount makes a blend more sweet and fruity, and a large dose makes a blend peppery and hot in a spicy way.
I would suggest for a light and bright Virginia with a stronger peppery perique, Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. Luxury Blullseye blend is a classic as well, with a bit of cavendish added.

If getting a large one pound tin is an option, then Haddo's Delight is amazing, and the first blends that comes to mind for a strong perique.
I could go on and on, but with so many options, it's hard to really tell what you would like. If you liked a particular straight Virginia or if we knew which latakia you liked, or what cigar you preferred, it would better help us, help you.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
ok, I'll try to be more extensive. I've pretty much only smoked latakia blends, because pipe tobacco is sold here illegally, by people who do not know about pipe smoking. so, it's either captain black or latakia..
so far I've tried: Gawith and Dunhill's popular blends, 965, nightcap, SL etc. the virginia blends I've smoked are erinmore flake, which contains burley to my knowledge, and liked it. also tried FVF, and both gave me a sweet flavor with a bit of citrus. also like McB ODB, if it's helpful. what I'm looking for, if it means anything is a virginia's sweetness, to a limited extent, as a background note and peppery perique having the front stage. I also like the kind of sour note that I suspect being from the perique in nightcap.
this is what I can tell you regarding my taste, which hasn't had the chance of fully developing because of the circumstances, so I'm not really picky. thanks

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Unfortunately, these two blends are not bulk, but GLPease Haddo's Delight and C&D Buffalo Soldier are my favorite perique blends. Not traditional Va/pers, but better than any "VA/per" I've had. Bulk recommendation, Ps Lux. Navy Flake, but you may find that bland. Which is why I suggested the the first two blends.

I am guessing that you cannot get H&H, Lane, and C&D blends where you are. So...
Samuel Gawith - St James Flake is a grassy bright Virginia with a fruit array of perique.
GH&co has a Louisiana Perique Flake that is flavorful and spicy, but has a little of the Lakeland that may warp your perceptions of what a VaPer is, but a good smoke nonetheless.
If you can get McClelland Blends, any of their VaPers that may be available in bulk where you are is worth it. 2015 is a great starter VaPer.
I am also not sure what is available in bulk where you are.
There is no one perique flavor profile. It is really dependent on the Virginia used or burley. And, as you know Virginias can range from bright acidic and wispy to dark, heavy and course, depending on how it is processed.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
cosmic, you can not get any of those here, with the exception of St. James flake, which I hear will be available in early 2016...
I'll be buying from 4noggins so selection is not a really big problem.
perdurabo, GLP is my soft spot, recently tried sextant and I'm in love with it. if money doesn't create a problem, I'll definitely try Haddo's.
also, what about Sixpence?

I have five pounds of Prairie Wind. One of my favorites from 4Nog. Give it a try.
Yeh, Sixpence, give it a try. I was one of the few that just didn't get all crazy about that or that other new one. But, I may just be the odd man out. I am a big GLP fan. It's just those last two didn't hit my sweet spot maybe. But, it would seem that absolutely everyone else on this forum went apesh!t over these. Go figure.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
cosmic, thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely try McC 2015, and if I can, Prairie Wind.
I'm happy to hear any other suggestions, as this will be my tobacco supply for about 1.5 - 2 months. :D

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
SG SJF
Not sure if you all consider this bulk but I do. I bought this stuff from 4noggins in 2013 and it is smoking fabulously right now. I jarred this up when I bought it and it has aged nicely. In fact I have purchased many of the SG 250g boxes and have been happy with those purchases.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Due to the O/P's inability to obtain bulk Anniversary Kake, I agree, McClellands 2015 is the way to go.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
CD's Bayou Morning. I suspect that this is a rather bland VaPer, looking for a stronger perique taste. I hope this gives you an idea.
Bayou Morning has 25% perique putting it on the pretty strong end of the VaPer spectrum. If you find that bland I would strongly suggest John Pattons Cool Hand Fluke which has 40% perique, and I believe it's only available at 4noggins. That is definitely not a bland Vaper. Louisiana flake by G&H is nice too and bulk only.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I have tried every H&H signature series blend. Anniversary Kake is probably the best of the series. Last month's sale was incredible so I bought a truck load of it at below bulk prices in 8oz containers.

Status
Not open for further replies.