PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Hi everyone! I'm new to the board and also new to pipe smoking. It's been a fun month of observing/learning from all of you, but I thought it was about time to join the community! I'm a very casual pipe smoker, only smoke about once or twice a week, and I have started to learn about aging. I know I've read that certain Tobaccos don't age well, so I wanted to get your opinion on what are a few tin tobaccos you'd recommend this newcomer to purchase to put aside for smoking 6+ months down the line?

Easy peasy, all of them, except ones that rely on a flavoring added for any taste at all. I find that tinned aromatics, such as Erinmore, Firedance, and etc to have lost all of their taste after being tinned for a few years. Also, any of them in he paper rolled tins, Sutliff in specific. Everything else, Virginias, Vapers, VaBurs, and Latakias tend to only get more smooth and flavorful with age.
For my favorites aged, Escudo, Astleys 109 and 44, and Haddos Delight.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
About aging tobaccos I do recommend this video. It is very helpful to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT92CzePJZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JJD67il9u8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr2iSt-Jk7Y

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Practically any blend is going to benefit from 6 months age. I would recommend a 100 gr tin of McClelland #24 or Blackwoods Flake. Open those tins and the further down the tin you get after its open, the better it gets.
Mike S.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
As Mike S (above) suggests, any McClelland Virginia is gonna do really well on the shelf.

Greg Pease seems to be very much aware of the aging potential of his blends.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
So far it has been Missippi River and London Flake.Much more still to be determined in the years to come. This is one of my favorite parts of the hobby to see which blends develop over time. :puffy:

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Cornell & Diehl make 3 blends specifically for aging (although they are ready to smoke now). Search for Chenet's Cake, Joie de Vivre, and Oak Alley.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Below are some that I have noticed phenomenal changes.
Orientals

-McConnell Oriental

-McClelland Grand Oriental Smyrna and Drama

-Rattray Red Rapparee
Virginia, VaPer

-McClelland No. 24

-S. Gawith Full Virginia Flake

-Rattray Marlin Flake

-Escudo

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
For a aging tobacco.

Most of matter is % of Virginia which mean higher is better.

Most not matter is % of Burley which mean lower is better for aging.

Sugar content, lower is better for aging(Most Aromatic has lots of sugar).

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Thank you guys so much for the suggestions and all the tips and advice! A few of you mentioned McClelland No. 24 and Escudo, so I'm going to start off purchasing a few tins of those first and slowly build my cellar from there!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Welcome aboard gogosamgo.
I just popped a tin of Mac Baren Navy Mixture with well over 5 years on it and I can't seem to put it down.
Another thing is, I have found 6 months improves almost everything I've smoked.
You're in good hands here!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you are going to get serious about cellaring, cellar blends you like. I don't care for Va/Pers, so it would be foolish for me to cellar Escudo. I am quite fond of SG BBF, on the other hand, and have a ton of it stashed away. :puffy:

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Jud's advice above is spot on. As long as it's not heavily cased, cellar what you like. :)
I've also got a spot of BBF stashed away. Not a ton, but some. Maybe I should dig some out and give it a go... :)

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Thanks for this topic. I have acquired more tobacco than I need for my own consumption, and just today put up my Virginia and English tins. I will survive quite well on my aromatics, bulk 5100 and Frog Morton blends waiting to sample some mature blends.
One question. The MacCelland Virginias are in paper tins (I think). To cellar these do you guys move them to mason jars?

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I will put into cellar for 2 years or more but If have plan to smoke before 2 years will keep in the original tin.

Any how when time pass will be aging in both.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
One question. The MacCelland Virginias are in paper tins (I think). To cellar these do you guys move them to mason jars?
I'm not sure which you are referring to. McCelland does offer bulk mixtures, which are typically shipped in plastic bags. These I'd recommend to be carefully mason jarred, all things being equal. (Mylar bags are another option, but their longevity isn't as well-established as jars, yet.)
If you don't mean bulks, I'm not at all sure what you might mean by "paper tins".

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
I think I was just not thinking right. Or thinking too much. Thanks for the responses.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Some of the manufacturers a few years ago switched from round metal tins to round thick cardboard tins. I believe they have all switched back now.

Status
Not open for further replies.