Best Syria Latakia Options

(50 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Nate
  • Latest reply from thedudeabides
  1. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nobody really knows how much of the stuff remains, but it's a finite amount. So I'd like to sample the blends which use it before it's gone. I went to P&C and typed Syrian Latakia into their search and was a bit taken aback at the number of blends that utilize it. Obviously there are the Mac Barens, but beyond that what have you tried? What's worth buying? What are the "must haves" in your opinion?

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

I don't know if they are a must as I have not tried them. But there are:

Ashton's Artisan Blend (it's advertised as having some in the tin description); and

McClelland's Three Oaks Syrian.

"Tobacco is my favorite vegetable". Frank Zappa (Yeah, baby; yeah!)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These all use it...
     photo E5535FFC-A184-4D6B-B7DC-795FC13B1CAD.png_zpsauypz760.jpeg photo 59D8A8E8-E79D-431A-B069-C801F60C4CB9.png_zpshee8kmco.jpeg photo 3F1A612F-9596-4CEE-ABD3-7548D649B45C.png_zpsc6raeihp.jpeg photo 08E2844A-9763-4F2A-84E2-6211ECF3AC3E.png_zpskm9qxhgw.jpeg photo EFB163ED-8FCD-429B-946B-2C2AB4938971.png_zpsrvqxtqkd.jpeg

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have smoked a tin of Wilderness and I loved it. I just finished a tin of Samovar - really good stuff. I have stocked up on both of these and plan to add more. I have also stocked up some MacBaren Vintage Syrian and Tudor Castle too but have not tried them yet. The Wilderness and Samovar are not what you would call strong blends but they are very good.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can only comment on MB Solent Mixture - it is superb in my opinion

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. edwinbaz

edwinbaz

Login to Send PM

McClelland's Three Oaks Syrian is a fantastic blend. It's smooth, brilliantly balanced, very nuanced, and tastes amazing. At least that was my experience with it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. bonehed

bonehed

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

3OS is the first blend my wife said she enjoyed the scent of, so its got that going for it, which is nice...

Edit: Seriously - I share edwinbaz's sentiment. An excellent blend!

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is there any bulk blends with Syrian Latakia?
    Except MB pound bags....

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ben, I've not come across any.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. calabashed

calabashed

Login to Send PM

If you like the other Frog Mortons, Across the Pond is a good choice.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Ashton, the Dan Tobacco offerings, McConnell and Peter Heinrichs do not contain Syrian latakia any more. DTM and Kohlhase & Kopp (who produce Ashton, McConnell and a lot of Peter Heinrichs) have run out of Syrian dark leaf a couple of years ago. Also see this blogpost: Syrian Latakia

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've only had the Macbaren HH and the McClelland Syrian full Balkan. Both are really, really yummy. If Assad had only smoked a pipe all this could have been avoided.

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 4 years ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is there bulk Syrian available anywhere? That could be really interesting. I have a sample of just "Latakia", provenance unknown. (local B+M)

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. jarit

jarit

Login to Send PM

Thanks for that info, Arno!

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SSHHHHHHHHHH!!

Arno beat me to the punch (pun intended) and also has a great blog site: https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/

Careful though ... that's a rabbit hole and a half right there!

btw ... HH VS is a fantastic smoke

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Just buy 10 of each. You'll be good for a while.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Damnation I've just seen Arno's comment. That blows up most of my joke.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure any blend has a higher proportion of syrian than Wilderness (35% if I recall).

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. carytobacco

carytobacco

Banned

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren HH Vinyage syrian, smoking my first bowl now. Amazing. Smoothest, easiest smoking Latakia blend I can remember smoking.

PipeAndLeaf.com
    Posted 4 years ago #
  20. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a write up about syrian latakia a while back, i think by Pease. Maybe it was just a question/answer thing actually. Anyway, it was suggested there are blends put out that could have a token sprinkling of syrian latakia mixed into their cyprus stuff for marketing purposes (going off memory here, sorry to Greg if that memory is off track) and that if nothing else, the macbaren and mcclelland blends were legit since they both have an actual stockpile of the stuff.

I purchased a tin of 3 oaks and HH vintage syrian last year, but still have not cracked either so no review from me sorry.

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  21. mranglophile

Mr. Anglophile

Login to Send PM

Brebbia's Latakia flake is amazing. I was not aware till reading this that it had Syrian in it.

Michael - Poulsb, WA

Pipes are not like cars. A Chevy cannot drive like a Mercedes, but the lowly Stanwell can smoke like the lofty Chonowitsch, even though the latter far exceeds the Stanwell in beauty, grain, and craftsmanship. It is the briar and not the brand. There is no place for elitism among pipe smokers. - Fred Hanna
    Posted 4 years ago #
  22. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have only tried the McClelland 3 Oaks, and the Brebbia Balkan. 3 Oaks is smooth and mild. Brebbia Blakan is smooth, smoky, and a bit stronger. Neither has the sharpness or tang of most Cyprian Latakia blends, and I have tried a lot of them. I am smoking some 3 Oaks Syrian now, and it is amazing.

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. carytobacco

carytobacco

Banned

Login to Send PM

Per told me at ipcpr that they bought up all the Syrian they could and it will last about 4 years from now. After that, who knows. He said they have not been able to communicate with the farmers in over two years, and they can't even verify that they are still alive.

Posted 4 years ago #
  24. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Per told me at ipcpr that they bought up all the Syrian they could and it will last about 4 years from now. After that, who knows. He said they have not been able to communicate with the farmers in over two years, and they can't even verify that they are still alive.

Hmmm.. Last year he said to me 7-8 years...

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

100g tins of HH Vintage Syrian are $17.95 at Milan Tobacconists. That's $3 less than P&C, SP or 4noggins. I added a few to my cellar.

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To my knowledge, Frog Morton Across the Pond no longer contains Syrian.

I'd encourage folks who've never had Syrian latakia to not let their tins age too much. In my experience, Syrian fades faster than Cypriot leaf. The flavors and floral aromas are far more delicate in Syrian.

Also be aware that vintages matter. I've honestly never had any Syrian that could compare to the leaf that Pease used in his Syrian blends. Even though other blenders bought that same leaf, their supplies have been aging for 15 years and the leaf today simply isn't the same. It's also easily overwhelmed if there's a large portion of Cypriot in the blend as well. Which means you won't get much Syrian flavor in a bowl of Gordon Pym; it'll be more prominent in, say, Brebbia's Preludio Mixture No. 60.

Just my personal take...

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How much is "too much"?

Posted 4 years ago #
  28. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stanlaurel:

For me, I've noticed dramatic changes after about 5 years. After that, the characteristics I love about Syrian really fade away.

Posted 4 years ago #
  29. plugugly

plugugly

Login to Send PM

So rmbittner, effectively, you're saying Syrian is already a ghost that, like Elvis, has already left the room?

Plugugly

Lead,Follow-Or Get Out Of The Way!
    Posted 4 years ago #
  30. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My hands are shaky and my knees are weak
    I can't seem to stand on my own two feet
    Who do you thank when you have such luck?
    I'm in love
    I'm all shekk-el-bint up
    Mm mm oh, oh, yeah, yeah!

...sigh

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I s'pose the stock will dry up faster and faster as more and more people begin hoarding. A year ago Mac B had a 10 year supply, shortly thereafter it was 7-8 years and now it's 4 years. I'd expect it gone sometime next year.

Posted 4 years ago #
  32. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Plugugly: I'm saying that that's pretty much true for me. Don't get me wrong: I still have lots of tins that include Syrian in my cellar -- many close to 10 years old now. That doesn't mean I'm throwing them out! I still enjoy the blends that include Syrian in the mix. My response was more directed at the OP, who was looking for examples of current Syrian blends so that he could get an understanding of the leaf.

If you really want to know how incredibly good Syrian latakia can be, get a time machine, go back to 2002, and pick up a fresh tin of GLPease's Bohemian Scandal. Just don't expect to pick up one of these older Syrians on eBay -- where you'll pay very high prices -- and expect to get anything like the original flavor; it's gone. And unlike many blends, in my opinion they do not age well.

Bob

Posted 4 years ago #
  33. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've some tins of Vintage Syrian. It is a very good blend but, for me, doesn't really stand out from the crowd of Lat mixtures.

Posted 4 years ago #
  34. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will take them of your hands)))

Posted 4 years ago #
  35. atskywalker

atskywalker

Login to Send PM

I tried one bowl of HH VS the other day and it blew me away! I took a mental note to stock my cellar up from this heavenly mix. I was told there's enough stock to 2020 or maybe 2021. Obviously thats with current demand on mind. If people start to stock the blend knowing that Syrian Latakia won't come back on the scene for a while due to the war (or may not ever again!) the inventory could be depleted faster.

Does anyone know if FMOTB (on the bayou) has Syrian in it?

Cigarettes are the Chicken McNuggets of tobacco!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  36. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I try and build my stock of Yenijde Highlander whenever possible. It's no powerhouse but its awfully good!Beside that, McClelland's Three Oaks Syrian, Wilderness and Rose of Latakia are fine examples too. Stay away from these blends. I am not done stocking up!

Mike S.

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

To my knowledge, Frog Morton Across the Pond no longer contains Syrian.

Where did you read that if I may ask? If it is true I have to revise my Syrian latakia blogpost..

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

supdog

Login to Send PM

Arno, in a earlier post you said McConnell doesn't have any Syrian lat, so is this cyprian?

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/73355/mcconnells-pure-latakia/

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcconnell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3403

both sites state that it is Syrian, I'm confused.

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Arno, in a earlier post you said McConnell doesn't have any Syrian lat, so is this cyprian?

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/73355/mcconnells-pure-latakia/

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcconnell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3403

both sites state that it is Syrian, I'm confused.

It is Cyprian latakia, both sites got it wrong.. Although.. This is interesting, this comes from the site of Kohlhase & Kopp: http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/tabak/robert-mcconnell/tabak-selbstmischen-750.html The tin clearly states Syrian Latakia.. Ok, I sometimes mail with Hans Wiedemann from HU Tobacco. A lot of his blends are produced by K & K (but created by Hans!). I asked him about the Syrian latakia in his blends, if it was the real stuff because it is so rare these days. So he asked K & K and DTM (who also produce tobaccos for Hans) and both admitted they no longer had it. That is all I know.
    Perhaps K & K has a new batch from somewhere? Maybe they are lying now? Maybe they put one strand of Syrian with the Cyprian and call it Syrian? I don't know.. But I highly doubt they found a new batch of the Syrian dark leaf somewhere.
    I mailed Hans, perhaps he knows more.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Russians are building an airfield at Latakia, Syria and are predicted to station a squadron there. Maybe Putin is worried about running out of 3 Oaks Syrian.....

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. glpease

glpease

Lord Latakia

Login to Send PM

[Paraphrased somewhat from something I posted elsewhere.] As I've said before, the stores of Syrian, when used up, are probably gone forever. The Syrians have not produced any in well over a decade, going on two. A lot of blends claiming to contain it do so suspiciously, at least to my nose. The McClelland blends are the real deal. A recent sample that I was given of another popular "Syrian" mixture smells distinctly of Cypriot leaf to me, though there may also be some small amount of Syrian in it, and it was, at one time, made with only the real thing. Perhaps they're cutting it to extend the life of their inventory? Dunno. Fact is, there are no labeling laws forcing manufacturers to tell the truth about the contents of their blends, so we have to rely on their integrity, and our own organoleptic evaluations. I suppose it's possible there may be some small amount of Syrian in many of the blends claiming its inclusion, but it's almost completely masqued, in so many cases, by that Cyprian smell. And, I suppose it can be easy to forget to change a label when the ingredients are changed. (The claim of Yenidje in Balkan Sobranie lasted quite a bit longer than Gallaher's use of the actual varietal, for instance.) I get that. The problem with identification is that a lot of folks have never experienced Syrian latakia in its pure form, so they're left to rely on what they've been told by the manufacturers.

Try one or more of the McClelland Syrian blends and get to know them. You'll never mistake Cyprian for Syrian once you've got that distinctive aroma engraved into your memory. The two are as different as oranges and grapefruits.

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the information Mr Pease. From what I know from earlier stuff you said there were at one point two manufacturers from which you were sure they had the real stuff: McClelland and MacBaren. In what you say above no direct mention of MacBaren..

A recent sample that I was given of another popular "Syrian" mixture smells distinctly of Cypriot leaf to me, though there may also be some small amount of Syrian in it, and it was, at one time, made with only the real thing. Perhaps they're cutting it to extend the life of their inventory? Dunno.

I think I can guess which blend that is.. But you can't say anything because the manufacturer is a site sponsor I guess..

I got mail from Hans Wiedemann by the way. He was very diplomatic. His K&K produced blends only have Cyprian latakia. That is all he wanted to say.
    As a pipe smoker enthusiastic it saddens me that a lot of tobacco manufacturers are not open about the use of Syrian latakia. Therefore I respect manufactures like Mr Pease and DTM who just said, we don't have the real stuff any more and we can't get any more.

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

multuminparvo

Login to Send PM

Does anybody know if Wellauer of Switzerland is still selling the real deal (100% pure Syrian Latakia)?

http://www.synjeco.ch/pataall/taba/4110.php?i5s52

last item on the page

Thank you

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. aggravatedfarmer

aggravatedfarmer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I haven't seen anywhere that Syrian Latakia will dry up due to the crisis. Or will it?

Frog Morton accross the pond is a fantastic blend IMO

Edit. I'm ignorant. Didn't read all the comments.

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Based on what I've learned on this thread, I just ordered a bunch of the 3 Oaks Syrian

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Does anybody know if Wellauer of Switzerland is still selling the real deal (100% pure Syrian Latakia)?

http://www.synjeco.ch/pataall/taba/4110.php?i5s52

last item on the page

Thank you

On my Syrian latakia blogpost I have the Wellauer blends listed. But I can't back that up to be honest.. It is more that I give them the benefit of the doubt. A few long-time tobacco manufacturers (like Motzek in Kiel) still have some small bit left of Syrian latakia. So why not Wellauer?

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Based on what I've learned on this thread, I just ordered a bunch of the 3 Oaks Syrian [:)]

Smart man

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

multuminparvo

Login to Send PM

Thank you Arno

Well my plan is to get a decent amount of it for future years and cut it with other more mundane blends for added zest.

10% of it to a tin of Early Morning pipe or Squadron Leader gives you a much fuller experience.

I'm currently at 2.5 pounds but will probably double it in the next 18-24 months.

Posted 3 years ago #
  49. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bob, actually I've purchased a few tins of Bohemian from pipestud. Yes, that's a seriously great smoke!! Expensive no doubt, but after all I'd heard, I absolutely had to try myself. I also had a few of Ravens Wing. That was the most serious Latakia forward blend I've tried. The BS wasn't as much in your face as RW.

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. thedudeabides

thedudeabides

Login to Send PM

The McConnell Latakia sure smells like Syrian to me. I bought a number of tins for blending purposes.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pitchfork, 3rdguy, burleyboy, orlandofurioso, smittyd, wyohogger