PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
What would be the best stem material for me, I tend to chew the $hit out of my pipe stems. I am thinking of trying the rubber protectors but would like another option.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Best clenchers in my opinion are corn cobs, new stems are 50 cents each and they are very soft so they are super easy clenchers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I love my high quality German vulcanite stems. They are soft on the teeth and they take a beating. The older sulpher laden british and older italian stems are comfy, but can get teeth marks much easier than the newer German stuff.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Longevity: acrylic

Comfort: vulcanite
Best of both ? Acrylic with a soft bit. Haven't tried the food grade heat shrink tube Baron mentioned.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I like acrylic. But for some reason I can't get over the taste of the rubber soft bits.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have always wondered about those softy bits and rubber taste, is it that noticeable and if it is why use them if it is taking away from the flavors of your tobacco?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here is the stuff I use. It is "Medical Grade" which is the highest quality. A $10 pack will outfit 20 pipes or so, so why not get the best? You can get plain food grade for $8 a pack, though. They shrink with a hair dryer or heat gun or even a few passes with a lighter, but you have to be VERY careful with a butane lighter or it will melt. They don't impart any more taste than a vulcanite bit will.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/INSULTAB-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-4WMU6?Pid=search

misterzombie

Lurker
Dec 30, 2012
Where can one buy these bits? I'm a biter and my corn cob stem is all chewed up (so are my pens lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.