PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm in the slow process of cleaning up my newly acquired 1955 Dunhill. I have some beeswax polish which is not very good on the briar. Which was should I be using? I can't seem to find anything in Canada for the purpose.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like the results I get with a block of carnauba wax I got on eBay. It's hard, and needs to be applied with a cloth wheel (available for rotary hand tools), but it's durable and it buffs-up brilliantly if the underlying wood has a very smooth finish.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
I picked up some Howards Butcher Block Conditioner (food grade mineral oil and natural waxes) awhile back and it seems to do the trick for a quick wipe down / polish. I use sparingly, and try not to overuse to ensure no splotchy wax buildup. I make sure to wipe with a micro cloth to buff between when the bowl is warm. Used on rusticated and smooth bowls without issue
I haven’t had any issues, no adverse effects, or wax buildup. Kind of surprised it’s not used by the community for general quick cleaning / shine; makes me a little worried I’m missing some reason why I shouldn’t be using it tbh ..
PS - I assume it’s available in Canada, can pick up for ~$8 usd on Amazon

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
Carnuba comes in hard bar form, the hardness is what gives it the ability to stay shiny. Avoid using it on textured pipes as it builds up in crevices. Think I picked mine up from Lee Valley. A buffing wheel (cloth) at lower speed on a Dremmel or bench buffer works well.
Paragon or Halcyon II you'll probably need to mail order, but easy to use!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Sorry for the naive question, but what does waxing do? It it just a cosmetic thing?

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Hi Mike
You can get carnauba wax at Lee Valley Tools. There should be a location near you .
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the replies guys. Bassbug, yes its primarily for aesthetics, I'm cleaning the bowl but it still looks a little too dull for my liking.
I've looked at Lee Valley and they do carry the bar, but hopefully I can find a paste.
Dave what did you use?

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Mike, here is another option.
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/stem_restore_kit.html
The carnauba wax is in a soft paste formula. It may be applied with your finger or soft cloth.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Good old reliable "nose grease." Readily available in all countries where in the people have noses. Granted, not what the OP inquired about for restoration purposes but, it does provide a nice, quick shine to a healthy, well maintained pipe.
Use "floppy" (unstitched) wheels when buffing blasted bowls, they'll get into all the nooks and crannies.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Dave what did you use?
s-l1600-600x579.jpg

There's some available on there now

Status
Not open for further replies.