PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This might be a fun, informal poll: for you corncob smokers (and who isn't among us, except perhaps some uninitiated newbies) which cob is your favorite? I love my Shire and have two of them; hardly a day goes by when I don't smoke one of them; and the Country Gentleman follows second. Needless to say, I'm assuming (with all the dangers that go with using that word) your cob(s) are by MM.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Usually "Legends" or "Washingtons." I buy 'em in fives and sixes as they disappear quickly, lakes seem to be the main attractant, closely followed by inaccessible places in the truck and forgetting them on a stump or in the grass. Cobs work well for me as disposables and they provide a nice smoke in the field while working.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Legends by default because it's all the b&m around here carries. I have no complaints.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I have a ton of the blister pack MM cobs (which I believe are legends?) that I smoke daily. They are great, but when I really want to relax and enjoy a nice blend from a cob I usually go for my Great Dane.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
This little beauty from Custom Corn Cobs:
11924834_10153497645290922_747568785_n.jpg

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm partial to the natural Prides and the natural Country Gentleman. I wish MM would make a natural Mark Twain. The Naturals (aka Nekids) seem to dissipate the heat better which doesn't heat up the bowl so much.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
My favorites are my large, forever-stemmed MM Country Gentleman's. My second favorite is my Cobbit Shire.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I smoke cobs probably 90% of the time. I enjoy them all, but favorite would be a Diplomat or Country Gentleman.
I have a Twain but I seldom smoke it, same for my General.
Legends, Washington, and Prides get a lot of use.
My Eaton and Huck Finn being a far shorter smoke get smoked the least.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Most of my pipes are cobs and I don't have a favorite. I have some that smoke englishes very well while others are great with flakes and a couple favor aros so it is more what blend I'm in the mood to smoke than what pipe I want to smoke.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
for you corncob smokers (and who isn't among us, except perhaps some uninitiated newbies)
I've been smoking pipes for over 40 years, so hardly an uninitiated newbie. I bought and smoked one cob in my life. Not a bad smoker, but at that time I smoked in public, and didn't really appreciate the likenings to Popeye, Pa Kettle or Mammy Yokum. If someone is too young to recognize those names then that might explain why that person thinks cobs are cool. Like I said, not bad smokers, just I prefer brairs and meers.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
I have 10 Great Dane Spools that are smoked in rotation, all day everyday. Freehand, general, wasp and diplomats get some use. But the Spool is it for me.
The nekkeds do seem to smoke better, but will they last the 10+ years some of my filled ones have?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have smoked nearly every Missouri Meerschaum cob there is, but my favorites remain the Eaton and Missouri Pride.
The nekkeds do seem to smoke better, but will they last the 10+ years some of my filled ones have?
I see no durability advantage for the cobs coated in plaster of Paris.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like all my MM cobs, but best (like hawky) is my freehand, a Christmas gift from my wife, from 2014. Also don't forget Old Dominion cobs with reed stems, for an authentic historical smoke.

Mar 1, 2014
p2JsSSql.jpg

For now it's this one (That's a Wizard Cobwarden, charred black with many coats of honey).
Turns out that if you never clench, carving a tiny button out of the middle of a Churchwarden stem is actually really nice (after accidentally blowing up the original button by trying to bore a 1/8" airway in a stem that's much too thin for it).

Status
Not open for further replies.