PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This one has been on my radar for some time now.
I'm just finishing up the last of my Balkan Sterling so perhaps this one is next.
Is it always a higher nic blend or did you just get lucky? :)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Pretty sure we're talking Peter Stokkebye trailboss.
Lol ... I like the nic stand-off idea! (Cue spaghetti western music) :D

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
This was really a reference to the earthquake we experienced this morning. Earthquakes usually don't get my attention unless they last a while. This one lasted long enough that the dog and I felt it best to leave the house even though the house is on bedrock. 6.24 and almost a minute and a half. Light damage to a school, some people had bookshelves fall over but, all and all, damage around the area was minor and no injuries or heart attacks attributable.
Back to the tobacco. The "Balkin Supreme" is actually pretty smooth with not that much of a nic hit. I turn to "Brown Irish Twist" when I want a decent jolt of nicotine, great flavor too, at least to my palate. I always have a bit of the rope at the house. Despite looking as attractive as something my dog dropped on the lawn it's fairly smooth and tasty, burns well and you really taste the tobacco. I'd recommend it to smokers who gravitate to English and don't mind the fuss necessary to prepare it for the bowl.
The brand of Supreme I smoke is Iwan Ries labeled and packaged. Can't speak to if they have it specially blended or simply package a bulk procured elsewhere. They threw in a 6 ounces bag when I ordered once. Good move on their part as I now order to 8oz jars at a time and reorder when I open the last available jar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't buy tobacco for a nic hit, or even choose it from my cellar, but when I get a pleasant buzz, it's good.

Had an earthquake while in San Diego Navy radio school. I was in the cafeteria and the one other guy at the

table and I were glowering at each other, each thinking the other guy was shoving the table at him. Then it

dawned on us both -- earthquake. It lasted briefly and then on to dessert.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
OId Ironsides

Dark Flake

Dark Birdseye

Brown Bogie

Black Irish X

ODF

Navigator

Jacknife Plug
If you want nicotine, try these!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I rubbed out some Newminsters superior round slices and stoked a bowl of sublime nicotine/tobacco delight this afternoon. Sure made ME mellow.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Newbroom ... liking that Dark Fired center, huh?
It's tasty stuff and, as you mentioned, usually adds a nice kick to a blend.
Have you tried the ODF or JKP yet?

tanzebjorn

Lurker
May 11, 2014
4nogginsmike
Old Ironsides

Dark Flake

Dark Birdseye

Brown Bogie

Black Irish X

ODF

Navigator

Jacknife Plug
If you want nicotine, try these!

Now I'am pretty new to pipesmoking, but I have some experience with cigars and various smoke free tobacco products. I tried Dark Birdseye for the first time yesterday, and WOW! After reading reveiws about Dunhill Nightcap being strong on the nic, I thought I might try some other strong tobaccos.
As far as strenght goes Dark Birdseye is pretty strong. I am glad I chose a small bowl the first time. When it comes to taste and complexity... for this tobacco, it does not impress me in this department.
Overall it is was fun to try :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ah. Balkan Supreme. You guys are in my land now. Love the Balkan blends. My favorite of the Supreme mixtures is Stokkebye's. Never got a big nic hit from a pipe (probably a side effect of former cigarette smoking and present Kodiak usage) but love that latakia after taste! :puffy:

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Unfortunately, I am a nicotine lightweight but I get plenty of earthquakes here in Japan! Though, I am in a safer area we still get one every couple of months that will wake you up. Now if I could actually smoke a whole bowl of Nightcap without the room spinning...

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Just ordered some Royal Yacth...can't wait to try it

I use to smoke real strong cigars and this is the only pipe tobacco that I've tasted in the 10 years I've been smoking that hit me hard. To the point I needed to eat something and almost got ill from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.