PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pseudonym

Lurker
May 10, 2012
I guess it depends on your feelings about lighter fluid. If it doesn't bother you, you can't go wrong with a Zippo pipe lighter (personally, the smell doesn't bother me as it's short-lived, and I can rarely taste it, and never for more than a couple seconds).
If it does, there are lots of high-end butane lighters, but they always seem to have some sort of issue [ETA: not every single lighter, just every type/brand/model of butane lighter I've seen] so you'll need to find one with fewer issues and a good warranty.
FWIW I think the lack of issues with BICs has more to do with the fact that they are disposable, and therefore don't get any real wear-and-tear, than with actual quality.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Probably as many opinions as there are lighters. My personal preference is one which lights the tobacco without burning my fingers. Or, whatever is closest at hand. The one I find works best when I'm outside working is a Zippo with pipe insert. This little wonder works very well in a stiff breeze.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
My Zippo pipe lighter never fails and is fairly effecient when it comes to how much gas it uses. I do get a slight gas taste (might just be because I smell it) every now and then, but nothing that ruins the smoke.
I have never had a nice butane lighter, though, and plan to find a decent one in the future to try out.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I carry a Zippo, 4 bics, a box of matches, and a SRM pipe lighter. All see use, all work great. Really it comes down to what do you like and what do you want? If you have your heart set on a Zippo, old boy, etc then that's probably what will work best for you.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Colibri Connaught II
* Side-Firing, soft flame

* Big thumb-wheel flame adjustment

* Fuel Level indicator

* Electro-Quartz ignition

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Colibri Connaught II
+1
I absolutely love mine - best pipe lighter for the money IMHO. However, I have heard many say that they've had bad luck with theirs - so YMMV. I've had mine for 2 years now and it's still going strong.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I don't like having to hold down a button or lever to keep the flame lit (as with a Bic). I end up burning my thumb knuckle trying to get the flame to the bottom of the bowl.
My brother gave me a Zippo pipe lighter years ago, and though I cherish it it's not the best thing for lighting anything but a fully filled bowl.
Following that, my Immortal Beloved gave me a Colibri pipe lighter for Christmas one year. It lasted almost a year then fell apart.
I then invested in a Corona Old Boy which I loved for years. Then it just wouldn't light. I sent it in to Savinelli (when they were still servicing Old Boys) and they applied a leaf spring to the cap, but it never performed properly.
Then about a year and a half ago I bought a Xikar Pipe Line, which works until it doesn't. In 18 months it's already been replaced once and will probably be again soon.
So to answer your question, I don't think a good pipe lighter even exists!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
At the last pipe show, I was sitting at the table for the PM gathering. My Zippo ran out of fuel. I had to borrow Kevin's lighter. He urged me to be careful with it. It was his expensive Bic.
Winton

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
How well does the Colibri work in windy conditions? Nothing more frustrating than being on the open water and not being able to light one's pipe. Throwing a tarp over my body to light my pipe gets old quickly.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I like my Zippo with pipe insert filled with the Zippo lighter fluid out of the "black" can. Always works when I need it, never had any problem with it interfering with the flavor of the tobacco, and it's still made in the good old USA!

johntron76

Lurker
Sep 16, 2013
I've got a Vector Thunderbird.
fits perfectly into a Zippo case and has a side-firing flame (with a chimney that looks kind of like a Zippo), but uses a soft-flame butane technology. Just swap out the guts of your Zippo and you’re good to go.

Jan 8, 2013
Some day I may try a pricey lighter, but for now, its good old BIC. Cheap, reliable, readily available. BIC makes three of lifes most important items, pens, razors, and lighters. Cant go wrong there.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I like how my zippo performs, zippo fluid is much better than ronson and I keep a djeep or bic (depending what the shop has at the time) as a backup, but the zippo works best.

Status
Not open for further replies.