PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I am looking to make a few bulk purchases here in the next few months. I have already started hoarding some of my favorite Virginias and Vapers, but I am looking for a few good bulk English blends. I like my Englishes to be high in Latakia, something full on with tons of that smokey flavor. A couple of my favorites (and two blends I am panning to stock up on) are Larry's Blend by H&H and Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding as soon as pipes and cigars gets it back in stock. I have tried Pirate Kake before but really hated the way it burned, and I know that's probably one of the higher content latakia smokes out there. So what do you say guys? What should I grab that is worthy of precious jar space in the cellar?

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Billy budd. Smokey to the max and can be puffed quickly without ever getting too hot and changing flavour. My #1 bulk tobacco.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
You might try Charles Fairmorn's Lancer's Slices. A Virginia/Latakia mix that is heavy on some good quality Latakia.
Rich

4noggins.com

Jul 12, 2011
+1 on C&D's BB and SOTE
Also some MC's Wilderness, GL's Odyssey and Boswell's Northwoods
Damn, I'm drooling thinking about all these great Lat blends ;-)

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
H&H Ten to Midnight is a fantastic smoke and it's in stock.
I'm also waiting for P&C to get Plum Pudding and Larry's Blend back in stock. Most of their back ordered stock notes a 5 to 7 day time frame but these blends have been out of stock for a long time, very frustrating.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'd recommend Star of the East. At 50% Latakia most would consider it a Lat bomb. I consider it a highly nuanced and complex blend of essential goodness. Then there's Pirate Kake at 70% Latakia. Not really in bulk, but it comes in one pound pressed bricks which I break up as krumble kake and jar. Again, many would consider it a Lat bomb. I see it as an intensely incense-like holy sacrament. Then there's Odessa, Red Odessa, Engine 99, Campfire, etc. All great Lat bulk blends. I've been told Lat mellows with age. As long as the base VA leaf is of high quality it should age well. Of course Pirate Kake has no VA. I've had 9 yr. old SOTE, which was sublime.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1000 on Lancer's Slices and the price can't be beat 40-something for 500 g
If you don't smoke a pound a month, might I suggest SG Commonwealth at 31 / 250g ? Half Lat half VA :puffy:
I have tried most of the aforementioned C&D blends and I find they all have a "roughness" to it .... perhaps due to the addition of Burley ?
YMMV

Jul 12, 2011
Not in bulk but I suggest trying some of NYPC's Hell's Kitchen and Jack's

Shanty
Also SPC Seattle Evening (also not in bulk, sorry)

Jul 15, 2011
might I suggest SG Commonwealth at 31 / 250g ? Half Lat half VA
That sounds great rcstan. I loves me some Squadron Leader and I know that Gawith makes a great tobacco, so I might have to try that. Didnt know Gawith made a lat bomb.
Not in bulk but I suggest trying some of NYPC's Hell's Kitchen and Jack's Shanty
Dragon, I have tried the Hells Kitchen and didn't care for it much. The Oriental to Latakia ratio is way too high for me, and I didnt taste any Kentucky in the blend at all as it is touted to have. It just didnt have enough character of flavor for me. Might have to check out the Jacks Shanty though. If it is anything like Billy Budd it might be a winner.
Also, thanks to everyone who suggested Lancer Slices. Gonna throw some into my next order.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Sorry about the stock situation. We allowed inventory levels to drop to make the move easier, but didn't anticipate properly how long it would take to get the new stock in. large orders have been placed, and we hope to see a lot of product any day now.
Russ

Jul 12, 2011
Hi Russ,

Thanks for the update and sounds like good news on the way,

thank goodness because with a handle like TheSmokinDragon

without any smoke coming from my jaw looks pretty silly ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.