PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I am leaning to Grousemoor but Bothy and Dark flake are there too. Seems Grousemoor is more of the traditional, true Lakeland style blend. Bothy seems like a Squadron Leader lite and Dark flake is another Virginia. Both good but not great examples of the Lakeland style.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
DON'T DO IT! :rofl:
However if you do I hope you'll use a cob you don't care about ghosting the shit out of.

Should we call these Kendals, Lakelands, or what? I had just posted another thread about Kendals, apparently anything made by these companies can be called Kendal or Lakelands, which is confusing. So, Bothy apparently can be called a Lakeland. Maybe we should just call the scented stuff, dead grandma blends. :puffy:

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
The OP mentions Squadron Leader and Bothy Flake, definitely not Lakelands. They are listed as English, Bothy has a " peaty, scotch top note " I don't really know what it is other than delicious :mrgreen:

Reactions: Peter - CCB

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It seems that Kendal and Lakeland have become synonymous to mean any blend coming from either Samuel Gawith or Gawith & Hoggarth which would be quite correct.
Kendal is the town where they are made and Kendal is in the Lake District National Park.
The only slight difference I have noted since being on this forum is that a Lakeland blend usually (but not always) refers specifically to the heavily scented blends that both houses produce in prodigious quantities.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Cosmic, have you trie Lakeland Dark by Sam G. yet? If you love the GH&Co. Dark Flake u/s than you've got to try LD. It has absolutely no perfume and I think I actually like it more than the GH&Co Dark Flake. It's one of my new favorites that I probably wouldn't have otherwise tried if it weren't for Troy (misterlowercase).
To the OP, I would recommend that you try Grousemoor, it's completely different than anything you'll ever try, even in regards to other Lakelands.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Davet, I am confused by the naming of the blends from this region. Reading reviews, many insist that SL and Bothy are Lakeland in nature, not just origin, because of some of the casing but I am most likely just confusing the issue. No, I have never tried any of these blends.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
To me, all the real Lakelands are made by G&H. They are all nice interesting smokes if you like Lakelands, or putrid garbage if you don't like them. No middle ground. Lakelands are good for driving vermin, raccoons and even termites away from your house. :worship: All those mentioned are nice. I will second Conniston, Bob's Chocolate is a nice light Lakeland, there is Brown Flake, Ennerdale, Bob's Square Cut, and if you want to dip both toes into the Lakeland waters, Grasmere, which will either kill you or make you a fan for life!

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Dark Flake. Both varieties. I like it so much that I buy two 500g boxes of each every month.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Alright, Everybody scoot out of the way.
Sonny, if you want to get the real Lakeland Experience, you've got to go with Samuel Gwaith's 1792 Flake and Gawith, Hogarth, &Co Ennerdale. Grab those two and you are well on the way to the full Lakeland Experience. Try some Ropes next time.

Reactions: dcicero

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I like Ennerdale ,Bobs and Dark Plug Aromatic and have just placed an order including Bosun cut plug and Coniston Plug as I have not yet tried them.

you either love or loathe them ,me I fall firmly into the first catagory

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Bothy and Squadron Leader are great, not 'Lakelands' though. Bothy is a Va/Lat flake with a Scotch topping. I think it is really good. It is not an aromatic mind you, just Scotch topped. The Scotch adds to the flavor of the tobacco. Both are great tobaccos.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Grousemoor is nice in the Spring and Summer. Very bright, lemongrass scent. The strands are bright golden with a slight green tint. I tend to let it dry out quite a bit. A fresh tin is pretty intense. YMMV. Bob's Chocolate Flake is also pretty great if you like latakia. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Haven't tried any Lakeland yet, but have some in tins. You have to decide if you want to contend with the famous Lakeland flavorings and their ghosts or not. If not, I believe Squadron Leader is a popular non-aro. If you have a cob or other pipe to designate and can tolerate full-strength tobacco, 1792 is well regarded by some. But I'd read up on the whole line. Your taste may not follow the general pattern. Just be decisive about the ghosting issue.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Haven't tried any Lakeland yet
Geese, Louise, MSO! You gotta give some of them a swing! Honestly, I don't let the ghosting thing worry me much. I just designate certain pipes for it and others that I do not.
I'm pretty sure a pipe can be deghosted anyway, if that is what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.