Best Dunhill Nightcap and Early Morning Matches?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
I just discovered that the Dunhill Nightcap Match I enjoyed so much from Rich's Cigar Store would cost me $83.50 a pound. I'm hoping to find a match I like as well, but for a more reasonable cost. Who makes the best Nightcap and Early Morning Match in your opinion? By the way, when I compared Rich's Early Morning match to the original Dunhill Early Morning I liked the Rich's much better.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
McClelland makes "AM pipe" which is supposed to be in the style of EMP.
Can't speak for it, but I can say that the price will be a good bit less than $84/lb.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
The B&M here has a Early Morning Pipe Match here as well, though its bulk in the jar and i dont have an idea who makes it. Next time im in there i'll have to ask around. I've just picked up a bit of it and its pretty good, but im not sure how well it matches up as i've not had Dunhill's. Its roughly $45.00 a lb. If you want to try it i wouldn't mind sending you some to try out.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I didn't know Rich's made a Dunhill match unless you are talking about Nighttime which is phenomenal smoke? What is their Early Morning Match called? Rich's prices are pretty high - that's why I order from them sparingly. I do hope their former blender - Steve Books - resurfaces again soon.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
Sutliff has a blend that is supposed to be a match for EMP. It's called Sunrise. I can't comment on how close it is to EMP, but Smoking Pipes has it for ~$6 a tin and ~$15 for 1/2 lb. Worth a shot I guess.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
Actually, I'm much more eager to find a suitably priced Nightcap match, but FYI, Rich's Cigar Store blends are called Nightcap Match and Early Morning Match. They are quite good, but if I have to pay $83+ per pound I would only smoke it once in a while. I've really gotten to look forward to this as the evening bowl so I'm hoping I'll be successful in my search. And I will take up Johnnyrebel's kind offer.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Sunrise is nothing like Early Morning Pipe. Dunhill's EMP and Match EMP are all but identical and a great smoke, I'm smoking even as I type.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
McClelland makes "AM pipe" which is supposed to be in the style of EMP.
Can't speak for it, but I can say that the price will be a good bit less than $84/lb.
It's nothing like EMP at all, plus it's about 49-60$ depending where you order from. I've had it and it's a decent smoke but not worth the cost imo. It really wasn't memorable to me, EMP is memorable. The PM pipe is a bit different, fairly strong lat bomb, but still not close to nightcap really.
By the way, when I compared Rich's Early Morning match to the original Dunhill Early Morning I liked the Rich's much better.
If you like the match better than the original then you shouldn't be looking for an emp or nightcap match, as it's trying to match EMP, and you've stated you prefer this other version. 84$ a pound for premium tobacco isn't that much from a B&M. Nightcap and EMP are about 65$ a pound depending where you order from.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Just smoked Dunhill Night Cap in a Peterson Donegal Rocky 338.

I do remember I bought Night Cap 16 oz bulk at Pipeandciger.com around $44 and enjoy all year long.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Pipes and Cigars sell a whole line of Match tobaccos. The Nightcap match is slightly more than $2 an ounce if your buying a whole pound.
They have an EMP match as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.